It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Here's the thing - I left here for year and now only contribute occasionaly because of Zach. Others have done the same.

It's for Paul to make the judgement. It's his forum but I find it very hard to understand why he never calls Zach out on his obvious racism and general nastiness.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Ash wrote:Here's the thing - I left here for year and now only contribute occasionaly because of Zach. Others have done the same.

It's for Paul to make the judgement. It's his forum but I find it very hard to understand why he never calls Zach out on his obvious racism and general nastiness.

I made the decision not to 'over police' this place when I started it back in the days of 'ye olde glass needle'! sorry but not my style. On balance I believe that this is quite a friendly place. It's purpose primarily is Cardiff developments but obviously this can shoot off in other directions occasionally (nothing wrong with that). Having made a plea for contributors to have respect for others views I hope things will calm - if I've gotta starting banning people it will become to much of a pain in the a*** to keep this forum here. Note: no ads - this is a labour of love To be more positive I think we can all move on from here - I'd hate this place to go as I'd miss it myself :)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Msmurf

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 2:12 am

Peiriannydd wrote:There's another advantage to placing the new stations on the east side as show:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... Nidnd6ZGVn

They can use the existing underpass (the one they sometimes open on match days) that goes under the existing platforms. That would say them a lot of trouble of building an overpass/bridge which I think would destroy the character of the station.

Hmm...i think that is even narrower and dingier than the existing main one...and you would still need to open it up to the platforms above...using escalators and lifts.

The more I think about it the new concourse will have to be above the platforms...with existing tunnel retained for fast exits only
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Mathew5

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 9:54 am

Peiriannydd wrote:I don’t think it’s an overreaction, nor do a few of us need to “toughen up somewhat”, as has been suggested.

There have been a few of us who have made the point of saying that Zach’s comments are outright offensive. Yet he persists.

A few of us have also pointed out that we can distinguish between the legitimate concerns and grievances that people have with Welsh language policy and the Welsh language itself. Yet he persists.

I don’t know what his problem is, but he’s clearly made his point that he hates the Welsh language for whatever reason. Maybe the Welsh-speaking kids at school didn’t let him join in with the games? Maybe some Welsh-speaking girl or boy jilted him? Maybe he’s jealous that he can’t speak the language? Maybe he’s just a bigot? Or maybe he’s just an attention seeker who gets a rise out of winding people up with his tired, pathetic little jibes. Who knows and who cares!

What I do know, is that this forum is become a lot less pleasant place to converse with people and I’m less inclined to keep contributing.

Nailed it. He's ruining it for everybody.

Simon_SW17

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 10:55 am

Clapham Junction station has been developed using the large (albeit already in place) over bridge, adding lifts and stairs, a new entrance and retail units. It has a similar problem to Cardiff in that there's a very narrow underpass.

I don't think extending the underpass is an option there either.

Zach

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 am

A Wales-on-line rant about the Central Station and the poor public transport in Cardiff, some good points :o

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/need-better-public-transport-thousands-13462482
Last edited by Zach on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Msmurf

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:
But if it was me designing the layout, I'd pull it away from the existing lines slightly to allow for the bridge to be widened. That way they could link up with the spur on western side and create another line through the station and hence, provide more (and much needed) platform space.

I would do something a little bit different - I would use the existing spur at the Western side to take a Train-Tram line out of the station - onto Callaghan Square and then down to the Bay - along Lloyd George Avenue. I would also have another tramline coming up Dumballs Road into Callaghan Square and then taking Tyndall Street before reconnecting to Main Lines.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Mathew5

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Zach wrote:
Zach - this is exactly why a lot of people on this forum don't want you here and don't take any notice of your posts.

Wow it took you a week to realise you have been offended!

If Welsh was a grown up and vibrant language my in-jest comments wouldn't even have been noticed. :lol:

The reaction to the BBC Newsnight Welsh Language piece just sums up all that's wrong in Wales.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0917h3x/newsnight-09082017#
Watch it (26:00 in), nothing controversial at all, I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Having fought to have Welsh language TV and Radio, now its here and 30 years on no one watches or listens to it, the next plan is to introduce it into other channels.
When the figures for the numbers who use the Welsh language call centre options were released and were pitifully low <<10% The response was to make it more prominent and force everyone to use it. I don't Hate the Welsh language, but if people want to speak it, then let them and leave the majority to get on with our lives and Businesses.

Like it or not some of the Welsh language brigade have been a hindrance to inward investment and do have a direct relationship to developments in Cardiff. I'm not talking about those who speak it and just get on with life, those who think everyone else should be forced to use it and use it in a racist and divisive way. M&S Food Hall in Aber, JD Sports in Bangor, A concocted story every week it seems, which gives outsiders a perception of very narrow mindedness.

Like the Jeremy Corbyn social media followers it seems to come as a surprise that others hold different views.
Everyone I mix with and where I work regard the Welsh Language as nice to have but not something to spend money on or lose sleep over, a bit like Opera!

A Wales-on-line rant about the Central Station and the poor public transport in Cardiff, some good points :o

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/need-better-public-transport-thousands-13462482

You are entitled to your opinion but opinions should at least be based on facts. Radio Cymru and S4C audiences are increasing, and many watch it online and through social media.

The debate on Newsnight was lame, lazy and unforgivable, not because they were discussing Welsh, but because they simply put two people on who were not qualified to discuss the topic. Do you see the difference? If it had been Meri Huws vs David Davies then that would have made an interesting programme and a healthy debate. People are right to feel incensed.

You, and Jantra, seemingly do not understand what being bilingual means, and what speaking a language actually entails. It isn't just words, it's an entire window on life and as you only speak English you will never, ever understand what it means to have your very being attacked almost constantly in the media and by individuals who should get themselves educated. Your assumptions about inward investments are unfounded. Do you think TVR and Airbus thought twice about Welsh language skills before setting up here?

I'm not going to waste my time on you any more. The moderator needs to exclude you from these forums as you are seemingly incapable of sticking to the topic and you need to either get laid or learn how to form your arguments more coherently and constructively.

And to the moderator - Paul - I'm sorry but this will be my last post and visit to this forum. Yes, I agree we should be able to get on together, but this guy is absolutely belligerent, toxic, and impervious and should be blocked.

Zach

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Post moved
Last edited by Zach on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 1:37 pm

only CARDIFF CENTRAL RAIL STATION REVEALED posts on here please

maybe someone would like to start a new thread re language issues etc then anyone wanting to get involved/avoid can do so!!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum