It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am

New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Cardiff Bay Station. Plans look fine, better than whats been there for the last 20 years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40896681

The old station canopy shown in the drawings has gone, presumably taken down before it fell down.

10.2 It is recommended that Planning Permission be Granted.

IMHO if you have to do a "wetherspoons" on grade 2 listed to save it then this has to be a good thing!

Peiriannydd

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Msmurf wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:
But if it was me designing the layout, I'd pull it away from the existing lines slightly to allow for the bridge to be widened. That way they could link up with the spur on western side and create another line through the station and hence, provide more (and much needed) platform space.

I would do something a little bit different - I would use the existing spur at the Western side to take a Train-Tram line out of the station - onto Callaghan Square and then down to the Bay - along Lloyd George Avenue. I would also have another tramline coming up Dumballs Road into Callaghan Square and then taking Tyndall Street before reconnecting to Main Lines.

Perhaps they'll used it for part of the proposed Yellow Metro Line and link the existing line down to the bay. Can't help but think that a tram line down Dumballs Road is a must, with a link back to the existing tran line.
Attachments
_80957015_metro22.jpg
_80957015_metro22.jpg (55.01 KiB) Viewed 13945 times

Msmurf

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 3:47 pm

In my Fantasy Metro world I would have one tram line cmoing up Dumballs Road - one branch taking Penarth Road under the main railway - then cutting up to the Hayes - then Greyfriars - between Law Courts & City Hall then turning east between University Buildings adjacent to Cathays staion. The other branch would turn onto Callaghan Square then Tyndal Road before joining the main line to St Mellons (...sorry Cardiff Parkway)

The other line would come in from St Fagans and Plasdwr on the existing rail lines, then come off at Central to Callaghan Square then turn down Lloyd George Avenue to the bay.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Peiriannydd

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm

In my fantasy Metro I'd have an underground railway system and trams in a similar fashion to that of Vienna. But I doubt we'll ever have the funds to build anything on that scale.

sebcity

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:In my fantasy Metro I'd have an underground railway system and trams in a similar fashion to that of Vienna. But I doubt we'll ever have the funds to build anything on that scale.

My fantasy too! One can dream...

Jantra

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 am

Since we are talking of fantastical ideas that will never happen I would have a series of teleportation stations around the city/region

Roberthughjones

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 5:33 pm

sebcity wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:In my fantasy Metro I'd have an underground railway system and trams in a similar fashion to that of Vienna. But I doubt we'll ever have the funds to build anything on that scale.

Great Idea my dream would be to reinstate all the canals by ripping up Churchill way and the same time ripping up the branch that runs under Queen street and reconnecting it down to the Taff or extend it to the bay, a great summer attraction for the tourists to cruise through the city it would be just like Vienna.......Shit that is Venice isn't it. Sorry was dreaming too hard and I never did geography. Still one can dream. Better cancel that Gondola, or was it Gorgonzola. Never mind. Carry on.

sebcity

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 8:29 pm

Roberthughjones wrote:
sebcity wrote:

Great Idea my dream would be to reinstate all the canals by ripping up Churchill way and the same time ripping up the branch that runs under Queen street and reconnecting it down to the Taff or extend it to the bay, a great summer attraction for the tourists to cruise through the city it would be just like Vienna.......Shit that is Venice isn't it. Sorry was dreaming too hard and I never did geography. Still one can dream. Better cancel that Gondola, or was it Gorgonzola. Never mind. Carry on.

Canals would be pretty cool. May be it’ll be cheaper to allot as a form of transport than the trams! Commute to work by the river! They do it in New York so why can’t we! ;)

Msmurf

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 2:03 pm

There have been various snippets of details revealed about the new plans for Central Station, but there are some very interesting things hidden in the renders for Central Quay development.

It had previously been said that the existing main concourse building would be 'moved' northwards by 3(?)m to allow Platform 0 to become a full platform which would then be used for Intercity trains (and presumably be renumberd as Platform 1).

What the CQ render also shows is that it will be moved around 20(?)m to the East, ie towards the Interchange building. The over platform concourse is positioned immediately to the West of the existing Main concourse which suggests to me that the plan is to build the platform bridge first - then relocate/slide the North building to its new position - before reinstating the North entrance.

I will try and publish a screen shot (if I can remember how to do it)

Msmurf

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Last edited by Msmurf on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum