It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:32 pm

John Street - Callaghan Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: John Street - Callaghan Square

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 10:41 am

Kyle wrote:They are certainly building towards some height with their development across the road. They've got a 23 floor apartment bulding going up at Tudor Street and planning permission for something similar-ish I think across the feeder canal at the western most phase 2 plot at Callaghan Square. There's room for 2 or 3 buildings on this John street plot so wouldn't it be nice if there was maybe a 25 floor building on the eastern side and then two other buildings going up at 30 and then maybe 35 floors?

Would be good to see some plans, I guess they might not be released until early next year at best.

What's the Tudor Street project? I must have missed that one.

Kyle

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 10:47 am

Ash wrote:
Kyle wrote:They are certainly building towards some height with their development across the road. They've got a 23 floor apartment bulding going up at Tudor Street and planning permission for something similar-ish I think across the feeder canal at the western most phase 2 plot at Callaghan Square. There's room for 2 or 3 buildings on this John street plot so wouldn't it be nice if there was maybe a 25 floor building on the eastern side and then two other buildings going up at 30 and then maybe 35 floors?

Would be good to see some plans, I guess they might not be released until early next year at best.

What's the Tudor Street project? I must have missed that one.

It's this, although the design has changed for the better since. I think someone posted a link or a picture of the revised design on the Captital Quarter thread.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/cardiff-city-centre-23-storey-8550272

Jantra

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 10:48 am

I thought Kyle meant the Herbert Street development, but thinking about it that's the western end of the capital quarter development across the feeder canal so it can't be that.

Tudor Street is riverside, I'm intrigued....

Ash

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 11:22 am

Kyle wrote:
It's this, although the design has changed for the better since. I think someone posted a link or a picture of the revised design on the Captital Quarter thread.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/cardiff-city-centre-23-storey-8550272

That's not Tudor Street though. As Jantra says Tudor Street is the other side of the river,

Kyle

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 11:33 am

That's what I meant sorry ! Oops.

Ash

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 1:15 pm

Kyle wrote:That's what I meant sorry ! Oops.

Damn! A Tudor Street Tower would have been really exciting - it could go where that cruddy petrol station is!

neukreuz

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 2:39 pm

Cardiff has a real chance to build a dense high-rise district along the railway line, something which most UK cities outside London (not even Manchester) lack. But when I say high-rise I mean high-rise; the jumble of 50-75m towers that make up the skyline, especially when seen from the west and south, just won't do anymore. 90m+ is preferable and something well over 100m is deserved, I think!

We actually have a great skyline for a mid-size British city but "can do even better" should be encouraged and, for once, I'm quite optimistic that we will. 8-)

Cen

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 3:17 pm

I don't mean to burst any bubbles, but 250,000 sq ft on an area of land that large is not anything close to high-rise. 1 and 2 capital quarter are together over 150,000 sq ft.

I do agree that there is a great opportunity here, and JR Smart should seriously consider putting something big there.

RandomComment

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Whats the economics of going particularly tall here? If they go taller, construction cost per square foot goes up, and lettability generally goes down. Only worthwhile when land is scarce - which it just isn't for non-resi land in Cardiff. I would prefer good quality mid rise development than a fallow piece of land with a half-empty high rise in the corner.

And its probably worth noting that 250,000 square feet on this site will probably involve some decent height, especially for the resi component. The site is about the same as 1 & 2 capital quarter together. But the space is more than 50% more, and the site less regular. So I think we could see office element 8-10 storey, and resi 20 storey +.

sweetfeet

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Will reducing the size of the square at CS make it easier to fit a conference centre on the south side? I understand he footprint of the site being sold by the Welsh govt would be too small. Could an extra bit make it feasible?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum