It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:43 am

New Ice Rink

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: New Ice Rink

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 12:51 pm

The branding itself doesn't look too bad, but I can't help but cringe at the overall structure.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.17 KiB) Viewed 21170 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.02 KiB) Viewed 21170 times

Ash

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 3:17 pm

I guess almost by definition an Ice Rink is an insulated box - and that's what this one looks like! It's no worse than the old rink on the Hayes which was on a far more prominant site.Given that it's neighbours are Morrisons and Toys R us I've no real complaints!

At least the Devils will have a decent home at last.

Cen

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Hopefully the facilities make up for its lacklustre appearance.
Maybe once the full scheme is completed it will blend in a bit more. I just hope the ski slope doesn't follow the same fate, because a 200m long/80m high version of this will not be a pretty sight!

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 12:06 am

That Ski Slope seems a long way off at the moment - even if we do end up with more of a Ski Ramp! :roll: and what about the 6 star hotel with heli pad? I shan't hold my breath! oh well I guess this sports village may take some time to complete! Still having said that it'll still be great to see the back of the blue tent and the devils new home is a massive improvement (difficult not to be) - I bet they and the fans can't wait to occupy it. Mind you if they have a good season they'll be after more seats by the end of the season!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Ash

PostMon Aug 31, 2015 11:41 am

There's some nice drone footage of the new rink here. The interior is pretty good even if the exterior is a bit meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5poJI4p4jyM

Cen

PostMon Aug 31, 2015 3:42 pm

The exterior is more than meh. I don't think I've seen a new build professional sports stadium that looks like it's already due for an upgrade before it's even built... It's great for the Devils to move out of the blue tent but it's not so great for the city in general. When we have architecture like the Millennium Centre and the Senedd, how on earth does this stuff pass planning? The cladding is already buckling and warping all over the structure. I can't see it lasting very long.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but they seem to have downright lied about its appearance. I wonder if the Devils owners are happy with it? They may have been better off building their own facility. Hopefully the actual ice rink is up to scratch!

Cardiff

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Drove past today, looks like they have nearly completed the pedestrian square between the IAW and pool with the hoarding coming down. Looked quite nice, will be interesting to see it finished with the glass in the triangular sections, though doesnt have that reflective quality seen in the renders which is disappointing.

RandomComment

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 1:47 pm

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_114882

Request for an extension to June 2019 deadline for approval of reserved matters for the rest of the leisure part of the development (indoor ski slope, retail and hotel), and of commencement of construction deadline to June 2021.

I hope it doesn't take that long - and I doubt they are planning on that basis. Its just if you are going to ask for an extension (beyond June 2016), you might as well ask for as generous one as possible.

Frank

PostSat Jan 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Gyms, health clubs etc seem very much in vogue right now. What is down there right now apart from the excellent swimming facilities?

RandomComment

PostSun Jan 10, 2016 12:53 pm

The White Water rafting centre, and the Ice Rink.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum