It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Karl

Re: Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 am

Cen wrote:The new student block behind the Mercure looks quite nice, in my opinion. I also think the flats at Capital Quarter have a decent look to them.

Actually I agree with you. The Howard Gardens accommodation does look quite good.

Of the purpose built student accommodation (pbsa)that has gone up in Cardiff recently I can't think of any, other than Howard Gardens and the Cardiff Uni block that has been built near to the McDonalds in Gabalfa, that actually add to the urban fabric.

Glendower House is, thankfully, tucked away behind the MSCP off Dumfries Place. It's really poor. I remember when the application was made the DAS suggested that it would break the mould for buildings in Cardiff and it roundly rubbished all of the buildings around it. Hmmm. I think I prefer the po-mo car monolithic car park that dominates the east side of Dumfries Place to Glendower House which is going some. Rio Architects did the same hatchet job in the DAS for the Charles Street tower when they criticised pretty much every tall building in Cardiff. I wonder if those words will come back to haunt them if - as I fear - we end up with a ridiculous lego tower dominating the skyline and making us a laughing stock amongst the architecture geek community (admittedly a niche group but still...)

Windsor House could have been reasonable but I just cant get past the leftover porta cabin look for the top two floors.

Ty Pont Haearn speaks for itself. Vile. What they are spending 5m on to give it a re-furb I don't know - it certainly doesn't appear to be going on the exterior.

Student Castle is standard fare. Not hugely offensive but in my opinion wastes it's prominent corner site.

The stuff that has been put up on North Rd and by Gabalfa flyover over recent years is just grim. Absolutely no consideration given to the aesthetics despite them being in prominent positions on the main approach into the city centre.

The flats next to the Tramshed are really poor.

I'm sure there are more PBSA's out there, but none spring immediately to mind.

Should we really be surprised/disappointed when student accommodation turns out to be value engineered into mediocrity despite lovely renders. Looking at student builds going back to Talybont and Senghenydd Road (from the 70/80's) pretty much all PBSA is foul. It seems to me that conversions of existing buildings for student accommodation tend to be more successful particulalry as most of them take over unlovley 60/70's buildings where the scope to make things worse is much less.

I dread to think what will happen if the Bradley Place tower is given the go ahead. The renders look average which suggest that the reality will be awful.

daearegwr

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 11:55 am

Karl wrote:Should we really be surprised/disappointed when student accommodation turns out to be value engineered into mediocrity despite lovely renders. Looking at student builds going back to Talybont and Senghenydd Road (from the 70/80's) pretty much all PBSA is foul. It seems to me that conversions of existing buildings for student accommodation tend to be more successful particulalry as most of them take over unlovley 60/70's buildings where the scope to make things worse is much less.

I dread to think what will happen if the Bradley Place tower is given the go ahead. The renders look average which suggest that the reality will be awful.

This! They've done a superb job on the conversion of the former 6th form college tower on the corner of City Road and The Parade. Good example of taking what was looking like a fairly tired 80s concrete tower block and sprucing it up without resorting to naff overcladding and adding a good bit of additional space on the ground floor

lees

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 am

See the cladding this morning

I did have huge reservations but seeing it in person it looks good, quality and design!
Really like the steel mesh effect that is part of the building. It's going to brighten up the city, got to many buildings that have been painted white that are now green and brown

Very pleased

jones4891

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Agree with lees ^. I walk past it several times a week and it looks promising so far. A nice mix of materials and a range of different reds depending on the angle that you look at it from. It'll also make a nice contrast with the tall blue glass building on Churchill way (Premier Inn?). I'm a fan ...so far.

sebcity

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 am

Zach, is there a reason why you feel you’re entitled to cross certain lines? Spark unnecessary ‘debate’ about Welsh language on a forum dedicated to the growth of Cardiff’s skyline, make crass and rude assumptions and generalisations about forum members, but is this really necesssary?

I’ve not been around this forum long. But people like you make me see why others haven’t stuck around for long either. You’re genuinely making this forum an unenjoyable place to be.

‘Comparisons’ such as that are offensive, unnessecary and really don’t help anyone.

amp

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 1:44 am

i thought that picture was quite funny.

Lyndon

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 7:58 am

amp wrote:i thought that picture was quite funny.

Very poor taste :roll: :roll:

Baysailor

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 8:38 am

I totally agree. Any joke about 80 people dying in a fire is unacceptable. Time for the forum moderator to step in and disable the accounts of people posting offensive items.

cjenkinswales

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 9:22 am

Don't find this funny at all. very disrespectful :(

Admin Paul

Site Admin

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 9:48 am

cjenkinswales wrote:Don't find this funny at all. very disrespectful :(

I've deleted that post. Their is no humour in any tragedy such as the recent one in London :| I've never been part of the 'sick jokes shared on mobile texts gang' and definitely will not accept any of that on here.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum