It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

paul cardiffwalesmap

Re: Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 1:35 pm

It sometimes feels like an objection is going to be made regardless of the quality of the proposed building or location!

is this the scenario I wonder...

We've gotta discuss this planning app for a construction that involves the removal of a building

Oh no that's not what we want to see in Cardiff, certainly not at that sensitive location - most inappropriate
no of course I don't need to see the planning app the answer is no I object to this strongly!!

I'm sure I'm being unfair but that's how it feels :roll:
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Mathew5

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 1:40 pm

Personally, I think it's a win-win with these new student accommodation buildings going up everywhere. Students are contained in blocks and aren't destroying communities in other areas of Cardiff.

Ash

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm trying to understand where Cllr. Clark is coming from on this one but I'm struggling a bit. Charles Street is, if I recall correctly, a conservation area but it's only the central section that retains the original buildings. The northern and southern ends both consist of post-1980 buildings.

The new tower does abut the lovely Pembroke Terrace chapel (now Chapel restaurant) but the building drops in height to accommodate that. Besides which, having buildings of radically different sizes in the same panorama can actually be very attractive. Two examples below - the Welsh Church in Melbourne and Trinity, Wall Street, NY compared with the Watkin Jones plan.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Ash wrote:I'm trying to understand where Cllr. Clark is coming from on this one but I'm struggling a bit. Charles Street is, if I recall correctly, a conservation area but it's only the central section that retains the original buildings. The northern and southern ends both consist of post-1980 buildings.

Yes, you are quite right, only the central bit is original. But in my opinion (and my views on old buildings are well known on this forum now), what value do these buildings have? Why should they be preserved? Are they any more special than the University Buildings of Splott or the York Hotel? No. There is absolutely nothing special about these buildings either historically or architecturally and I don't see why they must be retained.

To me (and I am biased) this project has enormous potential to act as a catalyst for further regenation work around this area. It will bring a constant flow of people and activity to the area. I'm hoping (I should stress that I have no word of any such plans) that the MA Rapport's buiding/plot will be next and that the regeneration of this area continues down the railway line. Maybe reconfigure Guildford Crescent to provide better access to the Atrium and the Captial Quarter developments?

Another Admiral-style office would be fantastic down here.
Attachments
MA Rapports-Opportunity for Development1.jpg
MA Rapports-Opportunity for Development1.jpg (131 KiB) Viewed 13409 times

Kyle

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 2:35 pm

You'd like to think the Rapport site would be next wouldn't you?

Maybe once that's done and maybe an arena just appears somewhere in the next 5 years or so (yeah I know, wishing a bit much!) then the Motorpoint and Park Inn could be redeveloped?

Peiriannydd

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 3:13 pm

I understand (and this is reflected in the DAS for the above planning application) that there is interest in the site and has been earmarked for a possible development but I'm not aware of any serious plans yet.

I'd like to think that something will come of the site in the next 5 years. By then, the above tower would be finished, Capital Quarter would have been finished and hopefully JR Smart's plans on Herbert St. Then there won't be many plots around that are to build on.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Someone really needs to redevelop The Big Sleep too! It's looking really tired now.

Rhodri

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 3:46 pm

Harlech Court before Big Sleep.

Other areas ripe for development include car park opposite Atrium; front of Principality Stadium; Central car park.

Philnpt

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi every one, has anybody noticed that this development has been taken off the news feed on Watkins jones website?

Peiriannydd

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 6:05 pm

Philnpt wrote:Hi every one, has anybody noticed that this development has been taken off the news feed on Watkins jones website?

Strange, but I wouldn't read too much into that. It's still all over their Linkedin page and their Twitter page.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum