It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

AlwaysBeBlue

Re: Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 6:21 pm

URBANO wrote:Why don't you follow your own advice. You're contributing nothing.

Ditto

Cardiff is on the up and that will continue good bad and ugly.

Moan and groan, but it not going to stop it. Bring your great ideas to the forum for all to see including how it works financially

URBANO

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Well, on that basis we might as well shut the forum down because ( unless we employed a building economist) none of us would be allowed to comment on general ,or specific, development other than to note their existence. Since your posts appear to be based on that notion you , of course, would be unaffected by such a complete cessation of any discussion. But for my part ....what a shame that would be , as I enjoy an intelligent debate.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 6:58 pm

URBANO wrote:Well, on that basis we might as well shut the forum down because ( unless we employed a building economist) none of us would be allowed to comment on general ,or specific, development other than to note their existence. Since your posts appear to be based on that notion you , of course, would be unaffected by such a complete cessation of any discussion. But for my part ....what a shame that would be , as I enjoy an intelligent debate.

Blimey... We may as well shut the forum down!!! :o well that's news to me and it's my forum!! Don't panic folks URBANO hasn't got his finger on 'the code' and the forum remains open!! :)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Simon__200

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 pm

That's particularly unfair and twisting what he said.
What he said was that if he should shut up, because moaning and groaning wasn't going to stop anything being built, as one poster put put, then you might as well shut down the forum altogether.

Nobody here is in a position to stop or start any specific building, so if that's the prerequisite of expressing an opinion, yes, you might as well shut it down!

It's a rude and dismissive attitude. Let the man/woman have his/her say. I'm surprised at you, Paul, wading in with the pack like that.

Mikey

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 3:45 pm

Has Urbano been banned or something?

Msmurf

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Don't ban him....take him outside...give him a slap...and then back in.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Jantra

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Simon__200 wrote:That's particularly unfair and twisting what he said.
What he said was that if he should shut up, because moaning and groaning wasn't going to stop anything being built, as one poster put put, then you might as well shut down the forum altogether.

Nobody here is in a position to stop or start any specific building, so if that's the prerequisite of expressing an opinion, yes, you might as well shut it down!

It's a rude and dismissive attitude. Let the man/woman have his/her say. I'm surprised at you, Paul, wading in with the pack like that.

Absolutely this. URBANO has expressed himself in his usual erudite manner and hasn't resorted to nasty comments, sniping or name calling. As far as I can see he has only criticised that quality of the build and the (in his opinion) misplaced glee that permeates this forum regarding anything above 10 storeys.

Forums need posters like URBANO who always look to express their opinions in well thought out and constructed arguments without resorting to knee jerk reactions or paranoia.

If he's banned then I will walk and not return.

Karl

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 4:22 pm

He's not banned - Paul doesn't do banning. In a shameless arselick of our Obergruppenfuhrer, Paul is very fair minded and has a hands off approach to moderation. I get the feeling that Paul genuinely has a love of Cardiff and passionately cares about its development which has the happy byproduct of providing a platform for rank amateurs such as myself to opine at will.

On a wider note I don't think Urbano has said anything about this or any other development that I haven't said in this thread already. It is IN MY OPINION monolithic, it's primary colour scheme is silly and I think it will make our city look silly. It's in the wrong place - hulking over Charles Street with its very rare (for Cardiff) examples of early victorian stucco terraces with it's generally pleasing later additions (obviously forgetting the building nbow occupied by Next at the northern end).

It's cladding is also so different to the render that it makes me wonder what has happened with the planning process. I also think there is a certain amount of hubrios for the architects who in the DAS pretty much rubbished all other tall buildings in Cardiff whilst suggesting that what they were designing was the way forward for the western world.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong and this all falls into place as I take no pleasure in seeing my city lumbered with poor architecture. However this is my view at the moment. That doesn't make me a Luddite or wilfully contrary or a Nimby.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Oh another one who is deciding that maybe the forum should be shut down!! :roll:

What do you mean wading in with the pack!! :evil: - no I didn't I actually removed the thread that had a little of the 'pack mentality' about it However am I not allowed to have an opinion on pretty much what this forum is here for? Anyone who feels that it's not there cup of tea then why visit? Plenty of us like the idea of a high rise Cardiff city centre URBANO did not particularly share those wishes - and questioned what was being debated on an Architectural forum and that is not specifically what this place is. Would you join a fishing forum if you didn't enjoy fishing? there was always going to be conflict as his end desires for our city differed from many on here and often as somebody stated that he did this in a superior and pompous way which I believe wound people up!

Look Urbano has now gone - I didn't ban him he requested politely that I remove him as a member - and that has been done.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 4:25 pm

Jantra wrote:

Absolutely this. URBANO has expressed himself in his usual erudite manner and hasn't resorted to nasty comments, sniping or name calling. As far as I can see he has only criticised that quality of the build and the (in his opinion) misplaced glee that permeates this forum regarding anything above 10 storeys.

Forums need posters like URBANO who always look to express their opinions in well thought out and constructed arguments without resorting to knee jerk reactions or paranoia.

If he's banned then I will walk and not return.

He's not banned - but if you don't want to remain let me know!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum