It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Re: Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 12:16 am

Shame the catholic church doesn't buy up some of the land around the cathedral and provide some green space, sorely lacking now in town.

Ash

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 8:45 am

Peiriannydd wrote:Someone really needs to redevelop The Big Sleep too! It's looking really tired now.

I really like The Big Sleep! It has a great 1960s "Thunderbirds" vibe. The way the tower sits on the plinth is imaginative and unusual. It just needs some TLC and a re-clad.

I believe it changed hands last year so the new owners may have plans for it.

amp

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 10:00 am

Ash wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:Someone really needs to redevelop The Big Sleep too! It's looking really tired now.

I really like The Big Sleep! It has a great 1960s "Thunderbirds" vibe. The way the tower sits on the plinth is imaginative and unusual. It just needs some TLC and a re-clad.

I believe it changed hands last year so the new owners may have plans for it.

i really don't like this building to be honest, especially the elevation on the railway line, its so ugly and desperately needs something done, re-cladding would help, or if thats not possible then destroy it.

Cen

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 3:19 pm

I really don't like The Big Sleep, but it can definitely be improved without being demolished. Harlech Court is just awful though. It's a great location for a tower to match up to Alto Lusso and complete what could be a great high-rise stretch of road. Especially once the Watkin Jones tower is up.

Peiriannydd

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 8:21 pm

In case you were wondering or wanted further proof that this scheme is progressing, it's going through the process of getting the various discharges on planning conditions:

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_117038

Kyle

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 8:38 am

Good news.

As far as their website is concerned neither are listed under their projects yet, I assume they only do that once they are under construction.

I've always thought if this could get through planning it would be the first of the two to start, it just seems to be a far less complicated a project for a number of reasons.

Peiriannydd

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 2:37 am

Kyle wrote:I've always thought if this could get through planning it would be the first of the two to start, it just seems to be a far less complicated a project for a number of reasons.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. This scheme is far more complicated as it has the retail component. But it's perhaps less controversial as it's shorter, lighter in tone etc. than the taller one.

Kyle

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 7:09 am

Peiriannydd wrote:
Kyle wrote:I've always thought if this could get through planning it would be the first of the two to start, it just seems to be a far less complicated a project for a number of reasons.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. This scheme is far more complicated as it has the retail component. But it's perhaps less controversial as it's shorter, lighter in tone etc. than the taller one.

I hadn't thought of that actually.

I was thinking about proximity to the railway line, and yes the height, how slim it is etc. and was wondering if they are somehow affecting the delay....not fishing for an answer, appreciate you can't say anything.

I guess there's any manner of reasons why a project can be delayed before construction.

Simon_SW17

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 8:33 am

Both of the Watkin Jones developments received planning approval according to this weeks decisions on the CCC website.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 12:13 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:Both of the Watkin Jones developments received planning approval according to this weeks decisions on the CCC website.

Let's hope so - I'm still hoping that both of these developments come to fruition, and maybe the signs are good for both. If I had to choose a preference then I'm going to opt for the taller development - 132metres for our city would be tremendous, however if I wasn't obsessed by height :geek: then I'd probably prefer the Charles st development. This would still be the tallest construction in Cardiff since 1967!! so if we were only to get that I'd still be very pleased. Judging by the state of play regarding the planning approval hopefully we'll have a good idea of where we are within a month or so?
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum