It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 11:44 am

Yeah it’s a nice addition. Where’s Peiriannydd these days? Would be nice to get his opinion on how the tower is turning out.

Msmurf

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Ash wrote:
Msmurf wrote:It really highlights what a crap building Rapports is....

Rapports is actually quite a nice 1950s building. It's poorly maintained though and it feels out of place given everything that's happening around it.

I think we have a different definition of nice....I only hope that local land values are growing so fast that the owners will be made an offer they can't refuse!
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Cen

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 2:44 pm

The people that own Rapports have been in talks with a number of developers over the last couple of years. At least I thought that was the case. Did they not put forward a proposal for HMRC or something? If so then it’s clear that their building won’t be there for much longer.

Mikey87

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Msmurf wrote:
Ash wrote:
Msmurf wrote:It really highlights what a crap building Rapports is....

Rapports is actually quite a nice 1950s building. It's poorly maintained though and it feels out of place given everything that's happening around it.

I think we have a different definition of nice....I only hope that local land values are growing so fast that the owners will be made an offer they can't refuse!

It's one of the nicer buildings from that era. I love the lettering. Would be a shame to see it go. I recently had a chat with the owner of Madeira. He seems to think that block, where his restaurant is, is going to be pulled down. I welcome new developments, but if all you're gonna do is knock down perfectly fine buildings that just need a bit of TLC and erect student towers, there's not gonna much be left to see or do in Cardiff. It's happening in London at an alarming rate.

Ash

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Mikey87 wrote:It's one of the nicer buildings from that era. I love the lettering. Would be a shame to see it go. I recently had a chat with the owner of Madeira. He seems to think that block, where his restaurant is, is going to be pulled down. I welcome new developments, but if all you're gonna do is knock down perfectly fine buildings that just need a bit of TLC and erect student towers, there's not gonna much be left to see or do in Cardiff. It's happening in London at an alarming rate.

The above might explain why a restaurant called Ty Madeira are taking over the old Louis unit in Saint Mary Street. It could be a relocation.

Lyndon

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Mikey87 wrote:
It's one of the nicer buildings from that era. I love the lettering. Would be a shame to see it go. I recently had a chat with the owner of Madeira. He seems to think that block, where his restaurant is, is going to be pulled down. I welcome new developments, but if all you're gonna do is knock down perfectly fine buildings that just need a bit of TLC and erect student towers, there's not gonna much be left to see or do in Cardiff. It's happening in London at an alarming rate.

I'm pretty sceptical about that, I'd have thought the Masonic Hall is listed, for a start. Plus Madeira and the Thai House are highly rated restaurants, and Gwdihw a popular bar and music venue. Can't see it happening personally.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Wow that would surely be incredibly controversial - especially with the four mentioned!? Now why not flatten the Ibis hotel instead, I'll bring a sledge hammer and join in!! :)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Amoore

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Ash wrote:
Mikey87 wrote:It's one of the nicer buildings from that era. I love the lettering. Would be a shame to see it go. I recently had a chat with the owner of Madeira. He seems to think that block, where his restaurant is, is going to be pulled down. I welcome new developments, but if all you're gonna do is knock down perfectly fine buildings that just need a bit of TLC and erect student towers, there's not gonna much be left to see or do in Cardiff. It's happening in London at an alarming rate.

The above might explain why a restaurant called Ty Madeira are taking over the old Louis unit in Saint Mary Street. It could be a relocation.

Ty Madeira is indeed connected to the existing Madeira restaurant but it's opening in addition to it. It's going to be a more modern twist on it and have an open plan kitchen.

Cardiff

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Ash

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 5:33 pm

As has happened with at least one other student block, Watkin Jones have applied for temporary permission to house non-students for the first year of operation. The reason given is as follows.

The application seeks the temporary change of use of application ref 15/03097/MJR from solely student accommodation to allow for the use of both students and non-students. The development is due to complete 31 August 2018. With University courses commencing September 2018 this does not allow for adequate time to market or agree
tenancies for all of the units. The Groups experience in developing and managing student accommodation shows
that students prefer to see the accommodation before agreeing a tenancy. In this instance, there is a risk that the accommodation may not be fully occupied, particularly when students can start to book accommodation from May 2018.

All of which may well be true - but it does suggest that there isn't a huge unmet demand out there for this form of student accomodation. Besides which, this isn't a case of the build timetable slipping. It was always intended to be completed in August.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum