It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 am

Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 7:29 pm

Now they’ve added the glass on the bottom, it looks far better. My favourite view of it is from the Gwdihw bar. Pretty pleased with the outcome overall!

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 12:12 am

Couple of pics of work on Charles St side of development...

CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

amp

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 12:57 am

great to see those new pics.

So dark grey is in fashion now then i guess after this, Eastgate house and Longcross court going that way. But i do like it. a couple more in this colour will be ok, but some other colours be good though.

love to see that other tall apartment building for the area next to this happen, just need the job centre and rapports to be replaced with talls now.

another thought will the council put a yellow box camera here now? i think they should.

Ash

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 am

This has turned out rather well, despite the initial reservations some had about the cladding. I particularly like the way the Georgian frontages have been integrated into the development. Facadism can look ridiculous, Altalusso being a case in point, but this works well.

amp

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Yes I agree Ash I think it is due to them using the right dimensions and footprint for the Georgian side that does not make it feel tacked on. I think if they do this with custom house then we have nothing to worry about, plus they seem to be going for a similar colour scheme also.

RandomComment

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 12:55 pm

I think I would have preferred the old bit be painted red or white (though that would require more maintenance). I find the dark dark grey pretty oppressive. Maybe less of a problem when the building is occupied and lit up, maybe has some canopies outside.

MattW

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 2:39 pm

I think this is a great addition to the city and has an interesting street level element instead of just focusing on the vertical aspect. Good job I say.

Karl

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 3:15 pm

I must be missing something. I really don't rate the tower aspect at all. I think its embarrasing. The view of the podium from Bridge Street is ok and will look better when the comercial units are there but the views from Churchill Way and Charles street are terrible. I know architecture is subjective but I think maybe some people have been seduced by its height.

HalRobsonKanu

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 3:24 pm

...something that's definitely never previously happened on this forum.

Cen

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Or perhaps people actually like it?

“Embarrassing” is a bit strong...
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum