It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Blade_Runner83

Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Long time spectator first time poster.

The application for the Charles Street mixed use development has been made including a substantial tower.

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_114754

Hopefully this pace of new developments will continue!

Kyle

Re: Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Welcome to the forum !

Jantra

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 4:53 pm

very nice. will look good if the build is good quality - will compliment admiral somewhat

MattW

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 5:13 pm

That looks huge, taller than the Admiral even. Will be nice and windy down on street level with that enclosed space. The building looks good quality though, hopefully will be nice when finished.

The number of student developments is relentless, only thing I wonder is with all these prime brownfield sites being taken up - what about affordable city centre living for the rest of us?

Blade_Runner83

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 5:27 pm

Based on the D&A Statement it looks to be circa 30m taller than Admiral.

Karl

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 5:32 pm

MattW wrote:That looks huge, taller than the Admiral even. Will be nice and windy down on street level with that enclosed space. The building looks good quality though, hopefully will be nice when finished.

The number of student developments is relentless, only thing I wonder is with all these prime brownfield sites being taken up - what about affordable city centre living for the rest of us?

JR Smart have put in a planning app for residential in Herbert Street and of course there are thousands of homes planned for Dumballs Rd. Whether or not these developments will be 'affordable' I don't know.

I wonder if Central Square and the Tramshed will see Riverside and Grangetwown become more popular. From Tudor Street to SD2 is a brisk 5 minute walk if you nip through the arcades. I'm always surprised at how down at heel that area seems when there is some decent period housing right on the city centre doorstep.

Cen

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 6:36 pm

The detail they have gone into in the materials sections for both this tower and the Hope Street tower shows that they are being very conscious of build quality. I don't think we need to worry about the architects, as One Central Square has turned out brilliantly. Hopefully Watkin Jones themselves have the courage to pump the necessary funds into both!

Cen

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 6:58 pm

According to the D&A Statement, this is going to be 100m tall.

Edit: I think it's actually 90.5m + 9.4m pavement height above sea level. The documents aren't consistent with this.
Attachments
Tall Buildings.jpg
Tall Buildings.jpg (192.19 KiB) Viewed 35248 times

LocalLurker

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Does this cover the empty plot between the Chapel and Charles Street opposite Rapport?

I'm starting to lose track of the planning proposals and that's a good thing, so 'tower' wise, we could possibly have:

This on Bridge Street (100m)
Custom House Street (132m)
Wood Street as part of Capital Square (89m)
John Street

Also for reference, is Herbert Street a separate development from John Street or another name for it? :oops:

Ash

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Karl wrote: I wonder if Central Square and the Tramshed will see Riverside and Grangetwown become more popular. From Tudor Street to SD2 is a brisk 5 minute walk if you nip through the arcades. I'm always surprised at how down at heel that area seems when there is some decent period housing right on the city centre doorstep.

The western part of Grangetown seems to be gentrifying quite quickly - Riverside and eastern Grangetown less so. I think the (undeserved) poor reputation of some of the local English Medium schools may be an issue for people considering the area. Hopefully the council's proposed reorganisation will address the issue.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum