It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:20 pm

Bar News

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Century Falcon

Re: Bar News

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 7:09 pm

I wasn't sure whether to put this under "Bars" or "Retail" but...

The guys from Sunflower&I have moved their floristry business into No1 Mount Stuart Square, from Bute Street. It is now a licensed bar/coffee shop and florist as well as a live music venue with a plan to open seven days a week and a licence for the evenings.

Many of us will remember the building as the City Bar and Canteen from a few years ago. It looks amazing now they have done it up - well worth a visit!

Jantra

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 7:28 pm

Good news, will have to pay a visit

RandomComment

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Karl wrote:I saw that. Apparently the people behind it are brewers based in Pontyclun and they are opening up this venue as a way of getting their beer sold to a wider audience. They suggest that they couldn't get pubs to stock their beer and point to Brains, with their stranglehold over the city centre, as as being the main miscreants in this regard. I think Tiny Rebel were faced with a similar quandary which led to the opening of the Urban Tap House (which is really good despite the shit name). Perhaps Otley and Celt brewery may go the same route? Whatever happens the city centre is looking a bit more interesting than a few years ago with a number of independents opening up and a wider variety of boozers.

On a related note the outside works on Northgate House are almost complete. Contrary to all expectations I think the conversion is quite decent. They've got elements of white render and grey cladding which echo the buildings next to it (Lloyds TSB and the old Bank of Wales building). I was expecting a Shand House-esque abortion of a conversion but have been pleasantly surprised.

I also hate the name "Urban Tap House". The term "tap house" has become rather trendy of late, a bit like the terms "bar and kitchen", or "lounge" a few years ago. But I can live with that.. the "Urban".. though. I think it refers to one of their beers, but thats lost on most people and just seems naff. I suggested "The County Tap House", in reference to it being the former Glamorgan county staff bar. Has a better ring to it.

And Otley do (or at least did) have its own pubs in Ponty.. including the Otley, and I think, the Bunch of Grapes. Not sure if they have thought of a foray into the city.

wizard

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 12:11 am

Ah - so that it what has happened to the old City Canteen - good stuff indeed!!!

MattW

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 10:35 am

Not heard of this company before but they are looking to open two places in Cardiff, one in a vacant unit opposite Capital Centre - not sure which one though.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... es-8614232

Amoore

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 11:34 am

It was some sort of Country Fashion store over Christmas, but now there are hoardings up and there's a lot of activity.

zygoticmynci

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 12:05 pm

I hate that building now they've put green cladding on it, not that it was a beauty in the first place. It looks like cardboard.

RandomComment

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 1:36 pm

Theres quite a lot of activity in Cardiff recently on the bar/food scene. Theres been an influx of chains that to date have been associated overwhelmingly with the South East - Wahaca, Burger and Lobster, Bill's. And then a bit of a rennaisance of local independents, sometimes outside the centre in places like Canton/Pontcanna, and increasingly Roath. And there has been a bit of a surge in craft beers, food 'events' (like that thing down in Dumballs road).

Wondered whats spurred it? Did Cardiffians tire of Nandos? Is it a post-recession upsurge in eating-out spending? does it reflect the self-employment boom (much of which, nation-wide has been in A3 establishments)? Will it continue? Or is there a bit of a bubble now?

The contrast with retail in Cardiff is quite striking. St Davids has struggled to hold on to more upmarket and more international retailers. Seems Cardiffians are happy to shop in River Island and Primark, but want something a bit different to eat or drink. Is this the growth of 'experience' over 'materiality' among younger people?

Shminky Binky

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 2:30 pm

It is the old Sports Soccer unit.

MattW

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 2:54 pm

RandomComment wrote:Theres quite a lot of activity in Cardiff recently on the bar/food scene. Theres been an influx of chains that to date have been associated overwhelmingly with the South East - Wahaca, Burger and Lobster, Bill's. And then a bit of a rennaisance of local independents, sometimes outside the centre in places like Canton/Pontcanna, and increasingly Roath. And there has been a bit of a surge in craft beers, food 'events' (like that thing down in Dumballs road).

Wondered whats spurred it? Did Cardiffians tire of Nandos? Is it a post-recession upsurge in eating-out spending? does it reflect the self-employment boom (much of which, nation-wide has been in A3 establishments)? Will it continue? Or is there a bit of a bubble now?

The contrast with retail in Cardiff is quite striking. St Davids has struggled to hold on to more upmarket and more international retailers. Seems Cardiffians are happy to shop in River Island and Primark, but want something a bit different to eat or drink. Is this the growth of 'experience' over 'materiality' among younger people?

Probably because the London market is saturated and they are looking to expand to new areas to keep the profits coming in.

But also, this trend is not just specific to Cardiff, the food and drinks market has changed drastically over the last 5-10 years with people seeming to care more about quality and buying from local/small scale producers over price, despite the recession.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum