It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

Bar News

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Karl

Re: Bar News

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:09 pm

HalRobsonKanu wrote:Gin and Juice is the latest part of the Barker empire. I've not seen it in person yet but, from your photograph Paul, it really does look fantastic.

I'm also very much looking forward to the new Crafty Devil bar, which probably sounds more like the sort of place that I'd like to go for a drink.

It's been great to see a growing number of small, independent bars (along with smaller chains such as BrewDog) opening in town over recent years, bringing much more choice for more discerning customers. We're also getting seeing places like Curado and Bar 44 doing really well. It's strange to think that 15-20 years ago huge warehouses like Walkabout, offering crap lager, chart music and vertical drinking culture seemed like the future.

Whilst we have lost some old pubs that I do still miss, like the Park Vaults, I think Cardiff city centre today is a much more interesting place for a night out. Hopefully we will continue to grow this culture of smaller independent bars and restaurants, along with the music scene. One thing that's still missing, from a personal point of view, is a pub with a really good jukebox.

Agree with pretty much all of that. I'd like to see some better restaurants in the city centre and it would be nice if some of the empty buildings in Womamby Street and Castle Street could be brought back into use. I think the city centre is really missing a decent pub with a beer garden. Difficult to see how that will be resolved although perhaps any pub situated in Central Quay will take advantage of the riverside location.

This part of the city centre is very much food and drink driven now. I think the owners of the arcades are recognising that and are moving tenants around so that the corner units facing the street can continue to trade after 6.00pm. As an example Nine Yards have recently opened in the corner unit of High Street arcade (facing Working Street).

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 6:18 pm

I think the only way we're going to get a good beer garden in Cardiff City Centre is by some sort of rooftop bar. Surprised somebody hasn't tried to do it yet.

Completely agree with the growing independent bars, I love places like this and absolutely despise the walkabout type of bar. Or even worse, Coyote Ugly! As long as the weekend stags and hens stay there I'm happy.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:I think the only way we're going to get a good beer garden in Cardiff City Centre is by some sort of rooftop bar. Surprised somebody hasn't tried to do it yet.

Completely agree with the growing independent bars, I love places like this and absolutely despise the walkabout type of bar. Or even worse, Coyote Ugly! As long as the weekend stags and hens stay there I'm happy.

Yes indeed the likes of walkabout is the absolute opposite of that Gin and Juice bar I visited earlier - Well you've gotta cater for all tastes I suppose. The great thing is that there are so many more options appearing nowadays. It would be great to see our city centre busier through the week, I'm sure more people are living in town than ever now and these lovely atmospheric bars etc. are more likely to prise people out from their apartments. We'll look a bit more of a capital city when it's not a ghost town sun to thurs.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:21 pm

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:I think the only way we're going to get a good beer garden in Cardiff City Centre is by some sort of rooftop bar. Surprised somebody hasn't tried to do it yet.

Yes indeed the likes of walkabout is the absolute opposite of that Gin and Juice bar I visited earlier - Well you've gotta cater for all tastes I suppose. The great thing is that there are so many more options appearing nowadays. It would be great to see our city centre busier through the week, I'm sure more people are living in town than ever now and these lovely atmospheric bars etc. are more likely to prise people out from their apartments. We'll look a bit more of a capital city when it's not a ghost town sun to thurs.

I know what you mean about the 'ghost town' feel, but I don't think it's entirely dead. I frequent the likes of BrewDog, Tiny Rebel, Moon etc (can you guess my preferred brew!?) and they're regularly busy. Whether it be a Sunday evening, Monday evening etc.

It's fine at this time of year, but come July - August it really is a ghost town. You can really notice the students not being around.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Well that's very encouraging and goes to prove that these new bars are helping populate the midweek in town - all moving in the right direction!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap

Kyle

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 10:56 am

It'll get busier if more apartments for non-students go up, there's some planned or going up currently south of Central Station obviously, but a few more here and there would be good.

Simon__200

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 11:43 am

Karl wrote:
HalRobsonKanu wrote:Gin and Juice is the latest part of the Barker empire. I've not seen it in person yet but, from your photograph Paul, it really does look fantastic.

I'm also very much looking forward to the new Crafty Devil bar, which probably sounds more like the sort of place that I'd like to go for a drink.

It's been great to see a growing number of small, independent bars (along with smaller chains such as BrewDog) opening in town over recent years, bringing much more choice for more discerning customers. We're also getting seeing places like Curado and Bar 44 doing really well. It's strange to think that 15-20 years ago huge warehouses like Walkabout, offering crap lager, chart music and vertical drinking culture seemed like the future.

Whilst we have lost some old pubs that I do still miss, like the Park Vaults, I think Cardiff city centre today is a much more interesting place for a night out. Hopefully we will continue to grow this culture of smaller independent bars and restaurants, along with the music scene. One thing that's still missing, from a personal point of view, is a pub with a really good jukebox.

Agree with pretty much all of that. I'd like to see some better restaurants in the city centre and it would be nice if some of the empty buildings in Womamby Street and Castle Street could be brought back into use. I think the city centre is really missing a decent pub with a beer garden. Difficult to see how that will be resolved although perhaps any pub situated in Central Quay will take advantage of the riverside location.

This part of the city centre is very much food and drink driven now. I think the owners of the arcades are recognising that and are moving tenants around so that the corner units facing the street can continue to trade after 6.00pm. As an example Nine Yards have recently opened in the corner unit of High Street arcade (facing Working Street).

Ditto here too (well, apart from the jukebox idea - no thanks to that - I like to have a drink and a chat, not my eardrums punctured).
The pub with the best potential for a beer garden is surely Callahan's (public bar in The Holiday Inn, Castle Street). It's actually got a lively bit of secluded garden area close by to the river, but for some perverse reason it's never open - even on those warm Summer evenings.

Talking of some of the dreadful sports type bars - what on earth is happening to the Rummer Tavern? Only a few weeks ago, I was disappointed to see the removal of Worthington to be replaced by a second Heineken pump instead. They'd already removed the Hancock's and several other ales. What's the point in making an olde world pub like this if it's going to just be selling your usually generic crap available everywhere else? I now see they've stopped doing food altogether (food offering has been gradually run-down for months) and a pool table has now appeared inside! This can't be the wisest premises to convert to a spots bar surely? Is it under new management?

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 12:12 pm

The Great Western has a rooftop beer garden.

The amount of snobbery regarding drinking establishments on this board is staggering! I enjoy visiting all types of pub and bar but the hipster beer police seem to think that they invented IPA and dark!

Give it a rest, beer bores. Young fogeyism is a social dead end. Most of you snobby types probably spend the majority of your time, while out drinking, Instagramming your followers in a deathly dull social media echo chamber of photos of beards, tattoos and pangenderism! Get your snouts out of your devices and get pissed and dance ffs. You are more boring than my grandmother - and I'm a grandfather myself.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 1:51 pm

^He does have a point. Craft beer is great for Instagram.

#ElvisJuice #Cwtch

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:The Great Western has a rooftop beer garden.

The amount of snobbery regarding drinking establishments on this board is staggering! I enjoy visiting all types of pub and bar but the hipster beer police seem to think that they invented IPA and dark!

Give it a rest, beer bores. Young fogeyism is a social dead end. Most of you snobby types probably spend the majority of your time, while out drinking, Instagramming your followers in a deathly dull social media echo chamber of photos of beards, tattoos and pangenderism! Get your snouts out of your devices and get pissed and dance ffs. You are more boring than my grandmother - and I'm a grandfather myself.

The city centre should have quality options of drinking establishments that suit the occasion. If we had no sports type bars it would be ridiculous for a modern city centre as ours!! but it is great that we are now getting some great choices and that includes the sports bar type establishments.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum