It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

Bar News

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Amoore

Re: Bar News

PostFri May 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Quite an odd situation with Wow. This is the story as I understand it:

Pulse made an agreement to buy the business and began refurbishing, but soon discovered a minefield of problems with the site, both legally and physically. Therefore the landlords have repossessed it from the previous tenants before Pulse's deal completed, and the landlords are now drawing up a new lease for Pulse.

Pulse has taken on all the staff and found shifts for them at their other businesses, which means there's the unusual sight of the Wow drag queens on stage at Pulse on a Sunday instead, and I think some other nights have been folded into The Kings while everything's being sorted. All quite amusing considering they were once sworn rivals.

Bluegazza

PostFri May 17, 2019 3:40 pm

Bar boss fined over 'loud music and singing' during early hours

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... p_AppShare

jones4891

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 am

Wow bar have announced on Facebook today that they are moving to the old Buffalo building.

Simon__200

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 4:42 pm

Looking at the trendy area from High Street to St. Mary's Street there's still no sign of action for the so called "coming soon" Juniper Place (Formerly Seafood Shack). (This from 2018 https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... f-15455032)

I popped in to the bar next door (same owners) Old Havana to ask what the situation was and they said that the refurbishment had stalled and that Juniper Place was no longer scheduled to open this summer, but now October instead.
So, even if that October date is true, that's the Summer gin tippling outdoor business for 2019 lost. I'm sure the gin trend won't last for ever, there are already signs that it's starting to wane.

Meanwhile opposite, The Libertine has been closed during the daytime for the last few days (no idea if it's opening in the evening). I remember when this first opened and I enquired about drinking outside, they told me that they hadn't thought of that with the original licence application, so were hastily trying to get their licence amended. It looks like it took a year for them to succeed with that amendment so too late for Summer 2018, and now it looks like it's now not open to take advantage of Summer 2019.

What is it with businesses? It reminds me of that Baskin Robins ice cream franchise on Castle Street that closed for refurb during the Summer, and opened during the Winter. It didn't' survive the Winter, and during the subsequent Summer spent its time being refurbed into another ice cream outlet/café which opened during the following Winter, and then obviously didn't survive it. I guess the problem is that plans are always made "just in time" without enough contingency built in, and as we all know, these sort of things are never complete on time.

elgdav

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 pm

Apparently Glam is to reopen as The Story after a multi million pound refurbishment

https://thetab.com/uk/cardiff/2019/08/0 ... furb-42550

Ash

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 2:25 pm

God, how many names has that place had over the years? It was Tito's when I was a kid and it must have had half a dozen incarnations since then.

Amoore

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 6:40 pm

Ash wrote:God, how many names has that place had over the years? It was Tito's when I was a kid and it must have had half a dozen incarnations since then.

It was Glam for about 12 years which is a very good innings for a club. I'm not sure how well the new incarnation will do as the trade seems to have shifted away from Greyfriars Road in recent years. They really need a tenant in the former Crockerton unit as the street looks sparse without it, and it was popular with students which then fed into Glam.

I saw a recruitment ad and was surprised to see them offering £6.15 which is the absolute bare minimum wage (18-20). I'm not sure what staff they'll get for that as Cardiff is quite competitive for decent bar staff. For instance Pulse just around the corner starts off at £8.30 an hour, whatever the age.

elgdav

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Miss Jones to be an Irish bar but also a linked venue by the castle...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... r-17024217

Simon_SW17

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 3:12 pm

That artist impression looks more like a tranny tiki bar than anything Irish, how very bizarre :D

RandomComment

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 4:40 pm

And another garbled article from Wales media group to boot.

First, it appears to be an Irish-owned bar group. Not necessarily an Irish themed venue - although food, drinks and music are said to have an Irish twist.

Second, Miss Jones in Whitchurch is said to be the first of three new venues by the Irish group in Cardiff, creating 100 jobs. And then the very next sentence says the first will be opening this winter creating 100 jobs in the city centre.

So what is it? Is Whitchurch the first or is the city centre outlet? Are 100 jobs spread across all three or just in the first city centre branch?

I find it depressing how often Walesonline articles are garbled and self-contradictory; let alone contradict or ignore previous articles they've written.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum