It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Bar News

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Re: Bar News

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 4:19 pm

I agree, the changes aren't "just Cardiff". But Cardiff seems to have had a real spurt the last 2 years or so.

LocalLurker

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 5:48 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/f ... re-8908280

Bar called Three Rivers opening up on Greyfriars Road in April. Haven't heard too much about this one, where is it going on the street?

Century Falcon

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 6:30 pm

It looks like it is the new name for Varsity, post refurb, according to the licence application:

https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/Business ... imited.pdf

Lyndon

PostSat Apr 04, 2015 2:51 pm

So, when did the Philharmonic close then???

Ash

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 9:12 am

Kitty Flynn's is to revert to it's original name 'The Cambrian' with 'Tap' added on the end! It will showcase Brains craft beers and other local beers. It seems Brains has noticed how well Tiny Rebel are doing over in Westgate Street!

It's a sensible move. The faux Irish bars are wearing thin although it was a nice touch to name the bar after the legendry landlady of the Royal Oak.

redragon

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 9:43 am

Sounds good. Any pub reverting to its original name is a good thing in my eyes and Kitty Flynn's is looking pretty run down thee days.

I have to say, the Urban Tap House and Brewdog appear to be doing well at the moment, with a good few people in Zerodegrees last Fri/Sat with Queens Vaults and City Arms pretty much full. Any chance of another bar opening in the old Feather and Bone?

The best thing would be for a bar restaurant to open in the old post office on Westgate Street.... anyone know if anything has happened with this site?

Simon_SW17

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 10:47 am

The Feather & Bone unit has been bought by Bar 44 who have sites in Cowbridge & Penarth.

Ash

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 3:19 pm

redragon wrote:
I have to say, the Urban Tap House and Brewdog appear to be doing well at the moment, with a good few people in Zerodegrees last Fri/Sat with Queens Vaults and City Arms pretty much full. Any chance of another bar opening in the old Feather and Bone?

The best thing would be for a bar restaurant to open in the old post office on Westgate Street.... anyone know if anything has happened with this site?

The Westgate Street / Golate / Womanby Street area has a very nice buzz developing at the moment. As you say though, it is extraordinary that the ground floor of the old Post Office and the old Civil Court building next door haven't been brought into A3 use. The Post Office used to have a magnificent interior - I'm not sure how much of it survives or how much use BT make of the upper floors - if any.

Neil

PostWed Apr 08, 2015 8:58 am

BTW can anyone name a bar in Cardiff that serves food where children aren't allowed in? I know The Rummer is over 18's only but I'm thinking less of a pub, more a bar/restaurant. There seems to be nowhere where parents can go to have a quiet drink/evening out or where those who don't want to have kids running around can go, not since The Deri & Old Cottage succumbed to the lure of the 'Family Market'.

Simon_SW17

PostWed Apr 08, 2015 12:10 pm

That seems to be the way the market is going, you just have to hope that managers/companies have the sense to designate family areas and leave areas for the grown ups to enjoy in relative peace.

In my last pub we had a family area and no kids after 8pm which seemed to be a good balance, aside from the odd incredulous parents who were disgusted that little Jocasta and Tarquin couldn't come in a 10pm!

Back to your question though, not sure where is kid free these days but I have never seen any in the evening in The Deri.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum