It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:47 am

Elected Mayor for Cardiff

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Elected Mayor for Cardiff

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 12:40 pm

Campaign launched yesterday. What do we all think about this?

I'm not going to pretend that I know the consequences of this so somebody enlighten me!

Ash

Re: Elected Mayor for Cardiff

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 12:55 pm

I guess your attitude to this depends on your attitude to Russell Goodway! Having lost the internal power struggle within the Labour group this is his attempt to regain power by other means.

I have mixed feelings about him. He comes accross as an opinionated and not very nice man but there's no question that he delivered a lot of big projects as council leader in the 1990s.

Personally, I don't see any great advantage in elected mayors particularly since there are no associated goodies on offer as has been the case recently in England.

Simon_SW17

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 2:21 pm

Reckon I could hazard a guess as to how Phil Bale will be voting! :D

lucky

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Just another layer of expensive bureaucracy. In London, the Mayor's office and the boroughs fight like cat and dog as to who's in charge of almost anything, so it takes even longer - a real waste of money.

LocalLurker

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Be good to have an accountable figurehead for the city, count me in. How does one sign the petition for the referendum?

Century Falcon

PostSun Feb 14, 2016 9:05 am

I would prefer to be able to directly elect the city chief. I think that's particularly important with the major projects over the next couple of decades; more so than it has been in the past. I welcome this move.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum