It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 am

Hotel and luxury apartment plans revealed for coal exchange

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

murfilicious

Re: Hotel and luxury apartment plans revealed for coal excha

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:Who's working at Media Wales now, primary school kids?

Yes, I thought we'd established that long ago?
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Simon_SW17

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 1:21 pm

murfilicious wrote:
Simon_SW17 wrote:Who's working at Media Wales now, primary school kids?

Yes, I thought we'd established that long ago?

I thought it was year 9 work experience, maybe they've traded down :D

Ash

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 1:21 pm

Video here

https://vimeo.com/159325573/8c78db32aa

Judging by this the scheme also seems to involve Baltic House with a new public square between the two buildings.
Last edited by Ash on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Century Falcon

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 1:25 pm

The video embedded in the Wales online article is worth a watch. It reads and looks to me as though they plan to use Baltic House as the reception area for the hotel, which presumably involves considerable refurbishment/redevelopment of both buildings.

Neil

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Fair play that looks brilliant and a brilliant use of the building.

Cardiff

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 1:53 pm

I think the use of Baltic house as well is a really good idea, i hope the connection between the two isnt too tenuous. I always thought the back of Baltic house was a bit of an eye saw. Exciting times for this area, more than what i had hoped!

Jantra

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 2:31 pm

if they can tart up the front of Baltic House so that it resembles a proper entrance rather than an after thought then this scheme, should it come off, can really breathe new life in to the area. A venue like this will attract weddings all day every day all year round. fingers crossed

Zach

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 5:57 pm

I gather there's a big announcement on this due later today - so I've bumped the thread before Dave cut and pastes three Wales Online stories.

Do you know when I saw the announcement on BBC Online , I thought the exact same thing!!

I hope we don't find out on Monday that the WAG have to underwrite the whole lot.
Great news none the less, any sort of development in the jewel of Cardiff Bay has to be good.

PS If I read another story about that F*****g million pound cheque I will scream, for all we know there could have been ones written for £1.2m, £6.1m, $5.8 but it was the first time someone wrote one for £1,000,000 0s 0d :lol:

Ash

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 8:55 pm

I had an interesting chat with someone from the Save the coal Exchange group today. They're good guys who run the still open west wing of the building and using rent income to do basic maintenance on the derelict section. They are supportive of the plan with a couple of reasonable caveats.

They're worried that the early investment will go on Baltic House and the Exchange Hall to get the hotel up and running. They're not against that but say that there is an urgent need to stabilise other sections of the site.

They also want more details of the banking consortium who are loaning around half of the £40m investment promised.

As I say, these are good guys expressing understandable worries - not people trying to block the scheme.

Frank

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 11:38 pm

Let's hope it turns out well. It's a funny old building though. When you walk right around the outside or even looking at it from above, a lot of work needs to be done.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum