It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 am

Hotel and luxury apartment plans revealed for coal exchange

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Peiriannydd

Re: Hotel and luxury apartment plans revealed for coal excha

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm not suggesting that the Melbourne Docklands redevelopment is a perfect example, or without its critics. Personally, having lived in Melbourne for a number of years, I'm not a huge fan. The older parts of Melbourne are much more vibrant. My point is that they've purposely planned to do this over a number of years or decades. The aim of that development is to ultimately double the size of Melbourne's CBD, so it was going to take time and developments of such a scale will always divide opinion.

The redevelopment of the Bay has achieved a lot, yes, but it could have been so much better with a little more thought.

Ash

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 9:53 pm

Funnily enough I think Melbourne does have some lessons for Cardiff - not so much in the docklands though!

I think the interesting lesson is the 'postcode 3000' project to turn what was a dead and sterile CBD into the vibrant 24/7 place it is today. The key to it was to view the CBD as an 'activities district' rather than a 'business district' and to increase the number of CBD residential properties throught the conversion of redundant commercial space on the north bank of the Yarra. New office developments were pushed over to Southbank.

I'd agree with you that central Melbourne is a fantastic example of how to revitalise a city - although I'm not sure all of Southbank works - and docklands is frankly poor.

Interestingly the project was led by local government with state government support. There wasn't a seperate delivery authority.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Melbourne also has the largest tram network in the world, linked to its trains via a metro ticketing system. Hence, its dead easy to get around if like me, you don't own a car!

I also love the legacy of the Olympic Park. Yes, Melbourne hosted the 1956 Olympics, long, long before Sydney! I like the way it follows the Yarrow and its a nice walk through the Botonical Gardens to get there and it has its own train station. That's why I think Cardiff seriously missed a trick with the Sports Village. This should have been to the south of the railway line, on the current Brains site and proposed dumballs road development. I also would have encouraged Cardiff City to build their 30,000 seater stadium there. This would bring the Cardiff City fans into centre whilst allowing the Blues fans better facilities without leaving the city centre. It would also allow the redevelopment of the now Principality Stadium’s North Stand. WIN, WIN, WIN!

Karl

PostMon Feb 22, 2016 1:04 pm

I'm not sure I agree that Butetown has been ignored. Loudon Square hasd been regenerated, there are new flats at Steffani Court, plus ones due to start in Hannah Street. The council demolished a number of houses in Angelina Street about 10 years ago, rebuilt new ones specifically for the new tenants. There has been ongoing public realm works and a brand new community centre and Youth Pavilion. I can't think of many other suburbs in Cardiff that have seen so much regeneration in the last few years.

The problem with Butetown is connectivity. The only way to solve that to the east is to remove the railway line. To the west Canal Park gets in the way. Strong east-west routes from Atlantic Wharf to the Taff would be difficult but not impossible.

Zach

PostMon Feb 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Melbourne also has the largest tram network in the world, linked to its trains via a metro ticketing system. Hence, its dead easy to get around if like me, you don't own a car!

You are not serious! Having just come back from there I found the trams a joke, only used by tourists and tramps who don't mind travelling at less than walking pace on some routes.
Munich/Vienna/Prague examples of cities where trams actually work and people depend on them for transport.

Been to Melbourne a few times and I would not hold that city up as a paragon of urban planning either the CBD or the sprawling suburbs. Urban high rise bling meets hippyville.

Ash

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 10:58 am

I gather there's a big announcement on this due later today - so I've bumped the thread before Dave cut and pastes three Wales Online stories. :lol:

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 11:16 am

That sounds like great news! lets hope it's something that is actually going to happen! If something is done with the coal exchange it should bring the whole area to life - and the potential with some of the quality buildings un or under used is massive. Really looking forward to this announcement
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

dave

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Here it is and this bullying has to stop!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/w ... k-11152558

Cen

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 12:18 pm

I actually enjoy Dave's posting style. It's like having our own junk article filter, and we never have to use the awful, ad-filled website! :lol:

On topic: Great news for a gem of a building that really needs better care! I'm also glad their getting rid of the ugly bit at the front.

Simon_SW17

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 12:47 pm

dave wrote:Here it is and this bullying has to stop!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/w ... k-11152558

"a luxury 200 suite luxury hotel'

Who's working at Media Wales now, primary school kids?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum