It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

30-storey tower proposed for Capitol Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Peiriannydd

Re: 30-storey tower proposed for Capitol Centre

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Of course it won't look like that! It's an artist's impression based upon some conept architectural work.

Looking at those cantilever floor slabs, projecting beyound what appears to be a concrete wall. There is no way a thin slab would cantilever that far, even with post-tension elements, and be capable of supporting the out columns. That sort of floor arrangment would only really work if the floors were hung from a structure spaning above.

Still, I hope that something half tidy is eventually put forward for this site.

Zach

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 8:55 pm

So I see it can't really be built!
It's a bit like economists, when they produce economic models and then are subsequently proved wrong, they admit they are totally made up.
Reminds me of someone, but I cant but a finger on it :lol:

Kyle

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 8:57 pm

At least it's moving forward, regardless of how unrealistic and cagey those images are.

100 apartments isn't alot, so maybe 15-20 floors maximum on the tower. I hope it comes off, we've
not had a new apartment building in town go up for a while.

Peiriannydd

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 pm

Depends how big those apartments are and how big the floor plate is! I would have thought about 4-6 floors, so for 100 flats you're looking at around 16-26 floors. BUT, that'll be on top of the existing height of the shopping centre.

So, it's got to be at least 60-85m (assuming a 2.85m resi and a 5m retail floor-to-floor heights). That would work just nicely on that spot.

Peiriannydd

PostSun May 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Any further news on this development?

moyceyyy

PostMon May 08, 2017 12:33 am

Peiriannydd wrote:Any further news on this development?

Not that I have seen, although I really hope this one gets some life, Capitol isnt in the best of states right now.

RandomComment

PostMon May 08, 2017 10:27 am

Zach wrote:So I see it can't really be built!
It's a bit like economists, when they produce economic models and then are subsequently proved wrong, they admit they are totally made up.
Reminds me of someone, but I cant but a finger on it :lol:

Oh, you are a card aren't you(!)

Adar Glas

PostSun May 14, 2017 9:02 am

Haven't heard any updates on the Capitol Centre however I know a while ago that Churchill House was bought a couple of years ago and I've heard strong rumours that they are going to turn it into residential.

All the tenants are slowly vacating the building when their lease expires and plenty of surveyors etc have been in the building.

Peiriannydd

PostSun May 14, 2017 3:26 pm

There is a report here prepared by the estate agents who acted on behalf of the previous owners selling the Churchill House:
http://www.finemanross.co.uk/recent-transactions.html

It appears that it's quite profitable with a 8.5% return and has some long-term tennants. According to the document you can download, some leases at the time of sale extended to 2024. Mining & Geology consultants SRK had their lease expired in April 2017 and they are still there, so they must have negotiated an extension. As of September 2016 they were advertising leases on the Mezzanine floor.

At the moment, Knight Frank appear to be marketing some space:
http://www.knightfrank.co.uk/en/propert ... /cpd220485
So I'm not quite sure where this fits in with the new owners trying to rap things up.

I actually like the building. Yes it is a bit dated now, but it was a quality build in its day and I think it's an important part of Cardiff's development. I think it would be a shame if it were lost to residential or yet more student accomodation.

We've lost quite a bit of office space in that area and Newport Road over the last few years:
-Helmont House - Converted to Hotel
-The Aspect - Converted to Resi
-Fitzalan Court - Converted to Student Accomodation
-Admiral House - Converted to Resi
-Holland House - Converted to Hotel

Not a great image when you consider that the new office developements occured long after most of these.

Adar Glas

PostSun May 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:There is a report here prepared by the estate agents who acted on behalf of the previous owners selling the Churchill House:
http://www.finemanross.co.uk/recent-transactions.html

It appears that it's quite profitable with a 8.5% return and has some long-term tennants. According to the document you can download, some leases at the time of sale extended to 2024. Mining & Geology consultants SRK had their lease expired in April 2017 and they are still there, so they must have negotiated an extension. As of September 2016 they were advertising leases on the Mezzanine floor.

At the moment, Knight Frank appear to be marketing some space:
http://www.knightfrank.co.uk/en/propert ... /cpd220485
So I'm not quite sure where this fits in with the new owners trying to rap things up.

I actually like the building. Yes it is a bit dated now, but it was a quality build in its day and I think it's an important part of Cardiff's development. I think it would be a shame if it were lost to residential or yet more student accomodation.

We've lost quite a bit of office space in that area and Newport Road over the last few years:
-Helmont House - Converted to Hotel
-The Aspect - Converted to Resi
-Fitzalan Court - Converted to Student Accomodation
-Admiral House - Converted to Resi
-Holland House - Converted to Hotel

Not a great image when you consider that the new office developements occured long after most of these.

These are rumours I heard, I was working for a previous employer as recently as last month in the building. My previous employer has since vacated the building which leaves two large offices empty and I know a few other tenants have left.

Personally I don't think the layout of the building would suit it being turned into residential units and considering is location it must be attractive for companies to lease space there.

Who knows but perhaps watch this space in the future.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum