It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 pm

Bayscape

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Peiriannydd

Re: Bayscape

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 11:14 am

Christopher wrote:Yes preference is for a residential / service apartment led development for Phase II and further commercial spaces on the ground floor level. We wish to make an open public domain (and square) around all ground floor areas given the landing of the Pont-Y-Werin bridge and the boardwalk in front of all three buildings.

The design team matches that of Phase I. Architects are Rio Architects and Consultant Engineers are RVW. For those who are interested the ground conditions for Phase I have been pleasingly consistent. The Phase I buildings will be built off 480 concrete piles of around 20 metres depth each.

Thanks for that Christopher. I have a particular interest in tall buildings and I'm currently design two for Cardiff, but sadly not in a Cardiff office. It's good to see Cardiff-based businesses working on such schemes.

Peiriannydd

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 11:21 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Regarding the height of the tower:

It certainly doesn't seem to be as high as the original - but pretty lofty nevertheless!! Random Comment referred to us as geeks on here!? :shock: :) Bl***y Cheek! - well as king geek!! I'm calculating the height as 100 metres or 328 feet which would be comfortably our tallest cardiff structure, but would not beat Swansea's 107m meridian Quay - for that we await the Hope Tower! unless the hmrc have something spectacular planned! Mind you my calculation isn't exactly scientific and could be very out in either direction!

For residential schemes, floor-to-floor heights are typically between 2850mm to 3000mm. So, 28 x 3.0m = 84m. Retail and commerical space can be more like 4500mm. So say another 3m for 2 floors of retail space and add a bit more for some architectural fixtures and roof space and it looks that circa 90m is realistic.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 12:48 pm

Many thanks to Christopher who has sent me some images that he is happy for us to ponder here! the state of play now and what we will have in the not too distant...

and the tower...

CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Karl

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Does the resurrection of the tower element and the change to residential mean that off plan sales in the two shorter buildings are going really well?

Cen

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:

It certainly doesn't seem to be as high as the original - but pretty lofty nevertheless!! Random Comment referred to us as geeks on here!? :shock: :) Bl***y Cheek! - well as king geek!! I'm calculating the height as 100 metres or 328 feet which would be comfortably our tallest cardiff structure, but would not beat Swansea's 107m meridian Quay - for that we await the Hope Tower! unless the hmrc have something spectacular planned! Mind you my calculation isn't exactly scientific and could be very out in either direction!

For residential schemes, floor-to-floor heights are typically between 2850mm to 3000mm. So, 28 x 3.0m = 84m. Retail and commerical space can be more like 4500mm. So say another 3m for 2 floors of retail space and add a bit more for some architectural fixtures and roof space and it looks that circa 90m is realistic.

You obviously have far more knowledge than I do regarding building construction, but is it really going to be that much shorter than Swansea's 29 storey 107m residential tower? It certainly looks taller than 90m in these images.

Peiriannydd

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 4:57 pm

Cen wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:

You obviously have far more knowledge than I do regarding building construction, but is it really going to be that much shorter than Swansea's 29 storey 107m residential tower? It certainly looks taller than 90m in these images.

I’m just looking at the drawings for the RC frame for the tower in Swansea:

Typical Floor-To-Floor Height is 2.775m.
Level 0 = 6.45m
Level 29 = 88.825m

So, the concrete frame height (Level 0 to Level 29) is 88.825m. There’s a little bit more for the lift overrun and the steel roof which was installed for the restaurant which pushes up the height.
Can’t find the steel drawings so I can’t give an exact height, but it’s not as tall as some people think and not as tall as some of the figures quoted.

Peiriannydd

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Lift overun at 91.935m

Cen

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:Lift overun at 91.935m

That's odd... There's no way there's another 15m on top of that. Sounds like someone's been having us on!

I say we get over there with a tape measure and take the jacks down a few pegs :lol:

Peiriannydd

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 5:36 pm

No, someone is telling porkies.

I supsect the figure may be based upon an earlier height and it's never been revised in some peoples' minds. A bit like our tower on Bridge St. We still have press releases saying it's 24 storeys when it is higher.

Baysailor

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 6:13 pm

I quoted wikipedia:

General information
Location Swansea, Wales
Address Meridian Quay, Maritime Quarter, Swansea
Construction started 2006
Completed 2009
Cost £40,000,000
Height 107 m (351 ft)
Technical details