It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:16 pm

Student Housing

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Student Housing

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 5:03 pm

MediaWales have attempted some journalism here:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... gory%20p$4

The quantum of student housing being developed or proposed is significant. Not quite sure where the 6,000 figure comes from, but if true its a lot.

However, I find the way the article quotes from the landlords and agents, and then the students.. just so superficial. I think the main reason the landlords and agents warn about these kinds of developments is that they don't want the competition. The article doesn't analyse this at all. It doesn't talk about the kind of yields these developments continue to earn.

Now there is potentially a risk of a bubble developing in student accomodation - the rents and occupancy continuing to be achieved nationally suggest its not there yet. And I think the two big towers by Watkin Jones are being proposed to be flexible - so able to convert to private resi, or hotel, if needs be.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum