It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Century Falcon

Re: Cardiff airport

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Qatar starting daily flights with a proper long haul plane (787) as of May 2018. That's an impressive deal for CWL, not least for avoiding a short haul A320.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/09/16 ... hitt-sale/

https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/20 ... the-world/

Zach

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 3:09 pm

I just did a few test bookings from CWL to SYD in July next year and the economy price comes out at £1304
A KLM flight from Cardiff and 2 stops came in at £1050
An expedia search from London was £690 with cheapo china airline or £820 with a flag carrier like Singapore.

Qatar Business from CWL to SYD was £3800 and again expedia searches came in at about £1000 cheaper!

I know its convenient, but are people going to pay the this premium, when some I know drive to Gatwick to save £50?
Then again the WAG will probably use more than those in real jobs :lol:

Kyle

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Zach wrote:I just did a few test bookings from CWL to SYD in July next year and the economy price comes out at £1304
A KLM flight from Cardiff and 2 stops came in at £1050
An expedia search from London was £690 with cheapo china airline or £820 with a flag carrier like Singapore.

Qatar Business from CWL to SYD was £3800 and again expedia searches came in at about £1000 cheaper!

I know its convenient, but are people going to pay the this premium, when some I know drive to Gatwick to save £50?
Then again the WAG will probably use more than those in real jobs :lol:

Emirates Heathrow to Sydney via Dubai. Out on July 1st, back 2 weeks later is just under £1,300.
That isn't an unrealistic price for those sorts of flights at all.

Sure, you can hunt for deals, especially with shit airlines, but a regular priced deal via a search on an airline's website is roughly the same.

People are often prepared to pay for convenience and quality. Not everyone is a tight arse.

I was going to fly out to Dubai this week ahead of moving back out at the end of the year. Via Heathrow into DXB's best terminal was around £500, or around £700 with KLM via Cardiff. It's a daft difference in price for some, but sometimes when I lived out there I would go via Cardiff for convenience, sometimes I wasn't in the mood for the stopover hours or the shit experience at DXB terminal 1 and would use Emirates.

What I'm more concerned by with Qatar airlines isn't the price, it's the current political
situation Doha has with its neighbours and how that is restricting the usefulness of that flight link.
Business wise the appeal has been lost on me. The fact I can't use them to fly on to anywhere
in the Gulf currently puts me off.

Zach

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Emirates Heathrow to Sydney via Dubai. Out on July 1st, back 2 weeks later is just under £1,300.
That isn't an unrealistic price for those sorts of flights at all.

yes, but via SIN on Singapore A380's for £820, isn't excally a sh*t airline and it saves £500

There is a difference from being a tight a*se and being a patsy!

On the political point, I agree, Qatar are f*****d

Simon_SW17

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 11:11 pm

A quick look on the Qatar website and Skyscanner comes up with £600 return from Cardiff to Doha and with BA from Heathrow for £511. Not much difference there. But the same return from Heathrow to Dubai starts at £296.

It seems that Doha is very pricey compared to Dubai which doesn't bode well for ongoing flights from Cardiff or elsewhere. Even when you factor in trains fares/driving costs, it's still very pricey.

Business customers may not be so affected but I know I'd be going to London if I didn't live here already.

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 am

You need to look for the deals. Try the multiple flight option under advanced settings. I can't attach my screenshot as this forum has a small upload limit but I found a cracking deal.

CARDIFF > KUALA LUMPER
SINGAPORE > DOHA
DOHA > CARDIFF

Three separate flights, with a few days in between. Hazard a guess?

£514.37

cjenkinswales

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 10:47 am

I wish the GCC states sort out their differences with Qatar soon, as I want to fly CWL-DOH-DXB next year.

Baywatcher

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 1:23 pm

An interesting article in The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/ ... ht-routes/

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 5:59 pm

It's a very honest and interesting article. It's quite right in saying it could be a massive flop or a stroke of genius. I've been thinking for years that the right airline and route could transform the airport. I'm not totally sure Qatar Airways in Doha is the answer, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I'm a big fan of CWL and fly whenever I can from there, providing it's not massively higher in cost.

Perhaps if this is a fairly successful route that it will bring more airlines to the airport. Flybe are slowly rolling out new routes and increased flights but it's very slow indeed.

RandomComment

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 6:50 pm

As much as I dislike the tack (and modern-slavery-built foundations) of Dubai, Emirates is probably what the airport would have really have wanted. You'd get enough people going there for the pretension of class to get a fair bit of point-to-point travel. And its got better name recognition as an airline, so would probably do better as a transfer-route too.

Some decent prices though:
Cardiff - Sydney, £740 return, next June (OK, their winter, but... still nice up in Queensland!), or Cardiff - Perth, £640 return (and they're still pretty nice in winter!).
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum