It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Cardiff airport

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 11:30 pm

Okay, let's give the Welsh Government some credit for once. It's not where it needs to be, but it does seem that the airport is heading in the right direction.

It's interesting that Rhoose used to be accused of being a 'bucket and spades' holiday airport. These days though Cardiff has a far higher percentage of incoming passengers than Bristol, with Bristol handling most of the Costa trade.

Just to be clear, that's not a sneer at Bristol Airport, one far more successful than our own. I just find their divergent paths interesting.

jonbvn

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 3:25 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:August statistics are in:

11,568 passengers used the Qatar route. That's an average of 187 per flight (74.8%).

Is that % sustainable? I certainly hope so, since IMHO this route has put Cardiff on the world map. It is also proving a very convenient route for me.

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 4:47 am

jonbvn wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:August statistics are in:

11,568 passengers used the Qatar route. That's an average of 187 per flight (74.8%).

Is that % sustainable? I certainly hope so, since IMHO this route has put Cardiff on the world map. It is also proving a very convenient route for me.

There's no way of really telling. Birmingham in August was around 80%. Figure wise, I'd say it's healthy. But it's impossible to know the yield, basically it depends on how many people are spending money of full Y farw economy tickets and buisness class seats. We already know the cargo is doing well. Id say it's safe, especially since these statistics are for the 4th month of operation. For a airport that goes nowhere having almost 12,000 passengers pass it's doors to go to Doha and beyond to Austrailia, Thailand, Japan, China etc .. it's pretty good.

As Ash states, I do think the team at Cardiff Airport and Welsh Government deserve credit for turning it around and putting it on the right track. Even the Tories have come out and said they deserve credit.

It's interesting that now Welsh Government, Labour, Tories and Plaid are all lobbying for devolution of Air Passenger Duty, this will be the main game changer. Interestingly they are now open to only having it devolved for long haul routes.

I used the Air France code share yesterday and flew from Tokyo to Cardiff via Paris. Paris flight was full and it was interesting to see a third of the plane were international students (I assume). Mixture of Chinese, American and one guy from Samoa.

Simon_SW17

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 1:08 pm

The Cardiff Qatar route saw a yield of 72% in August according to this WalesOnline article, also pretty rapid month on month growth since the May launch, going from 2,965 to 11,592 in August.

I'd imagine the route is pretty safe, Birmingham August figures were only 900 more and that route is 2 years old.

Great news for CWL.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/first-passenger-numbers-qatar-airways-15213986

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 8:37 am

Cardiff Airport has announced today that for the first time in 8 years it has turned a profit. The end of March 2018 saw a mere pre-tax profit of £7,000. This should be up quite a bit by March 2019 with the Qatar revenue with passengers and freight.

It still has just shy of £6m in debt.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Cardiff Airport has announced today that for the first time in 8 years it has turned a profit. The end of March 2018 saw a mere pre-tax profit of £7,000. This should be up quite a bit by March 2019 with the Qatar revenue with passengers and freight.

Well that's really good news and an impressive turnaround in fortunes it has to be said! under the previous owners it was at deaths door. Let's hope this upward trend continues and Wales will eventually have a really decent airport :P maybe not to boast about but at least to be proud of and not embarrassed by :?
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 6:48 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:Cardiff Airport has announced today that for the first time in 8 years it has turned a profit. The end of March 2018 saw a mere pre-tax profit of £7,000. This should be up quite a bit by March 2019 with the Qatar revenue with passengers and freight.

Well that's really good news and an impressive turnaround in fortunes it has to be said! under the previous owners it was at deaths door. Let's hope this upward trend continues and Wales will eventually have a really decent airport :P maybe not to boast about but at least to be proud of and not embarrassed by :?

I'm quite proud of how it's turned itself around. For me at the moment ANY positive news at all is to be welcomed.

It's early days but it's growing month on month. Hopefully the Qatar route is the start of further growth, both freight and passenger wise. I'm looking forward to my 3 monthly visit home to see my family at the end of next week and landing there :).

HalRobsonKanu

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 9:17 am

Congratulations to all involved in turning this around.

There are certainly plenty of things over which I would be very critical of the Welsh Labour government but they've definitely done the right thing, for the airport and the for the city, by taking it into public control - laying the lie to the "private sector good, public sector bad" fallacy that has dominated public policy making since 1979.

Let's hope that this is just the beginning.

Shminky Binky

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Ryanair to launch new routes from Cardiff.

Cardiff Airport has announced new routes for its summer 2019 schedule.
Ryanair will double its Cardiff traffic with flights departing twice-weekly to Barcelona in Spain, and Malta from April.
They will join the airline's Faro and Tenerife routes and it is anticipated that together they could potentially attract 100,000 customers per year.
Cardiff Airport CEO Deb Barber said the airport's potential was being recognised.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Great that Ryanair is slowly adding new routes to Cardiff. If the new routes do well I wouldn't be surprised if Ryanair based an aircraft in Cardiff for the following year. The benefit here is Ryanair can tempt Welsh customers who would usually go to Bristol to use easyJet, their biggest rival.

Worth noting that whilst it's not confirmed it looks like Vueling has dropped it's service to Barcelona to increase capacity to Palma and Aliciante.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum