It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 pm

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon__200

Re: Cardiff airport

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Cardiff to London City Airport flights to end...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-40873067

sebcity

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Simon__200 wrote:Cardiff to London City Airport flights to end...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-40873067

Such a bloody shame! All of those businesses such as Admiral being offered a viable alternative to two hour train journeys into London, and yet not using it after wanting it! I’ve personally used this service and it was great! Very dissappointed to see it go!

Simon_SW17

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 1:11 pm

I think there are a few issues with flying to London from Cardiff;

* It's not a very long train journey
* Transport to CWL is terrible
* End to end journey times can't be any better by plane after travel to the airport, check in, security etc

The only advantage could be that it's probably going to be cheaper than GWR's rip off fares.

sebcity

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:I think there are a few issues with flying to London from Cardiff;

* It's not a very long train journey
* Transport to CWL is terrible
* End to end journey times can't be any better by plane after travel to the airport, check in, security etc

The only advantage could be that it's probably going to be cheaper than GWR's rip off fares.

I partially agree. The journey isn’t very long but 45 minutes is far shorter!
Transport to the airport is unbelievably bad, and it’s going to massively stunt the growth of that airport. But mind, you still have to get a bus from bristol temple meads to the airport as well, so that’s not much better.
CWL is a small airport, you can be there 30 mins before the flight, and they even had their own dedicated check in area which was nice. The London City side is much worse for this though.

Zach

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 12:20 pm

CWL to LCY flights ending in October.

I nearly booked one for a meeting in London last month.
Outward flight was at 07:45 great only £30 much, much less than the train.
last return flight was at 17:40 which was no good I would have to leave the meeting at 15:30 to catch the train to the airport.

Have they timed the last flight early so they could use the low PAX numbers as an excuse to pull out f the route?

I knew something was up when the total air fare was less than peak single train fare.

Simon__200

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 12:29 pm

Surely, the bit where the entire transport model is skewed, is that it costs less to fly than catch a train in the first place? That's what needs fixing really.

RandomComment

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 6:03 pm

What a load of tosh:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... e-13464427

Such an airline could quickly become a subsidy junkie, especially given the high fixed costs in operating an airline, and the baggage that comes with government ownership: admitting defeat and pulling out of bad routes would be harder, because of the political damage that would ensue.

Sion Barry continues to go down in my estimation.

Zach

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 6:09 pm

Such an airline could quickly become a subsidy junkie, especially given the high fixed costs in operating an airline, and the baggage that comes with government ownership: admitting defeat and pulling out of bad routes would be harder, because of the political damage that would ensue.

What a typical anti Wales comment this is, I truly expected more from you. :D

Of course, any routes operated by a publicly-owned airport would be based at Cardiff Airport, but long-term who is to say that a state-owned Welsh airline - like Emirates - couldn’t operate from other airports at some future stage.

Lala Land

moyceyyy

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Just get rid of Cardiff airport anyway Bristol is better and cheaper

F I X E D

Simon_SW17

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Yeah that'd be handy! :roll:
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum