It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:43 pm

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon_SW17

Re: Cardiff airport

PostMon May 09, 2016 9:37 pm

Another impressive month of passenger growth;

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/cardiff-airport-reports-40-passenger-11305704

This could start silencing the nay sayers. A new airline would be a great boost, easyJet or some proper routes from Ryanair would be good.

I'm not sure that a transatlantic route as mentioned in the 'poll' would persuade West Country folk to travel to CWL though and is there enough business from south Wales?

Ash

PostMon May 09, 2016 10:14 pm

It is impressive to be fair. I still think its a bit early to say the the airport has turned the corner but some of the damage done by the previous owners is gradually being rolled back. It's certainly a much more pleasant place to fly from these days.

As Simon suggests what it really needs is for a budget airline to have a few planes based there. Vueling has made a big difference to the passenger numbers - but the planes are actually based in Spain and I don't think we'll see them expanding the route network to other parts of Europe.

Frank

PostTue May 10, 2016 12:43 pm

I think it's time we gave up on Rhoose. I propose a new airport in Wentloog. You could have the runway a good mile away from Rumney and St Mellons with planes coming in and going out along the coast. Once there is a proper road connection between the Bay and Rumney the transport links would be ideal. Easy enough to connect to the M4 and there is the rail line too. Ditch this patronising Cardiff 'Wales' airport name (yeah right) and call it Cardiff Newport instead.

Simon_SW17

PostTue May 10, 2016 12:49 pm

Why is now the time to give up when passenger numbers are rising?

Also it's not been called Cardiff Wales Airport for years.

Frank

PostWed May 11, 2016 2:30 pm

It is prone to flooding down there though.

Ash

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Cardiff Airport Press release
8 June 2016

Cardiff Airport announces 12 months of passenger growth
May figures are up 27%

Another successful month has been recorded at Cardiff Airport, with passenger numbers increasing by 27% versus the same month last year. This increase represents twelve consecutive months of growth, bringing the rolling twelve month total of passengers flying from Cardiff to just over 1.279 million.

Customers are taking advantage of an increased choice of destinations, more availability and better timings on key routes, plus airlines are offering greater value for money to fly from Cardiff.
This announcement comes following a number of exciting developments for Wales' national airport.

Flybe has recently marked the one year anniversary of its two aircraft base at Cardiff Airport. Having enjoyed a successful year of flying, the airline has increased summer flights to Faro and Milan to 4 times a week and will operate flights up to four times a day to London City from September 12 to step in and help Welsh customers during the Severn Tunnel closure.

Additionally Flybe has also released its flights for winter 2016/17 and announced a brand new route to Berlin starting on 2nd November.

Low-cost Spanish airline Vueling has responded to the demand from Welsh customers and increased its summer programme of flights from Cardiff by some 40%, meaning greater capacity on flights to Alicante, Barcelona, Malaga and Palma Majorca.

The terminal has also undergone improvement, with a brand new walk-through duty free store, coffee shop, bar and restaurant now open in departures.

Twelve months of passenger growth:
Month 2015-16 % growth vs previous year Passenger numbers
June 12% 133,137
July 8% 139,805
August 10% 149,230
September 21% 150,477
October 62% 149,823
November 32% 65,040
December 56% 64,220
January 42% 59,715
February 68% 75,055
March 29% 78,413
April 40% 80,545
May 27% 134,285

Frank

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 3:23 pm

Didn't see that coming. I still think that location-wise the airport is never going to be a big success though. Our best hope for improved airport connectivity is probably a better rail link to Heathrow and a third runway. But don't hold your breath on the former and hell will probably freeze over before the latter happens.

Baywatcher

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 7:47 pm

I see that Cardiff is voted as one of the best airports to fly from

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... -to-avoid/

Jantra

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 9:12 am

Baywatcher wrote:I see that Cardiff is voted as one of the best airports to fly from

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... -to-avoid/

that's because you whizz straight through security and passport control

:mrgreen:

Zach

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 10:22 am

The categories are below, what I find amazing is they don't have a section for destinations or flight frequency!
Bit like the old joke about the best preforming ward in a hospital, zero infections, good staff morale, no waiting times etc.
It turns out the ward didn't have any patients. :lol:

General Cleanliness
Shopping The toilets
Bar and restaurant selection
The check-in process
Friendliness of the airport staff (check-in, security and gate staff)
Family-friendly facilities
Speed and ease of passing through security
The speed and ease of the immigration experience when returning to the airport after your trip
The wait for bags in baggage reclaim when you return to the airport after your trip
The airport lounge (if applicable)
WiFi access
Best bilingual sign-age
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum