It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:24 am

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: Cardiff airport

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Cardiff Airport has said that 1500 of the 1750 seats available last week were sold. That's at 84% capacity.

It's a rather odd thing to do from an airline CEO. I have no doubt that the May stats were dissapointing, but if sources are to be believed June, July and August have very solid numbers, as the figures above suggest.

Msmurf

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 5:00 pm

The interesting point I took from the Cardiff Airport Master plan is that the rail link is back on. This is a no-brainer.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Msmurf

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Cardiff Airport has said that 1500 of the 1750 seats available last week were sold. That's at 84% capacity.

It's a rather odd thing to do from an airline CEO. I have no doubt that the May stats were dissapointing, but if sources are to be believed June, July and August have very solid numbers, as the figures above suggest.

May is one of the quietest months for all airlines. Give it six months.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 5:42 pm

Msmurf wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:Cardiff Airport has said that 1500 of the 1750 seats available last week were sold. That's at 84% capacity.

May is one of the quietest months for all airlines. Give it six months.

The Qatar route should be most popular right now and in the winter. Part of me thinks the whole quote was either taken out of context (like the female CEO issue) or its a political stunt to get publicity.

Anyway... The MASTERPLAN!

I like how it's ambitious, but not overly ambitious. Careful planning has been put into it. It doesn't seem to invade Roose or likely to cause any environmental impact outside of its current perimeter.

The biggest thing for me is the transport improvements with the rail link and link roads. Currently it doesn't give a very good impression for those visiting Wales coming through the airport.

Bluegazza

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 7:06 pm

An article in the independent that states Cardiff is 50% cheaper than Manchester not a bad bit of advertising?

Not sure the article would have been written if not for a bit of a headline?

Ash

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 7:29 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:The biggest thing for me is the transport improvements with the rail link and link roads. Currently it doesn't give a very good impression for those visiting Wales coming through the airport.

The improvements to Five Mile Lane and proposed Pendoylan by-pass are certainly a plus. I'm at a loss though as to why there are still no improvements planned for the A4050. At the very least it should be duelled between Culverhouse Cross and the Barry Docks link road - preferably with grade seperated junctions replacing the roundabouts.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Ash wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:The biggest thing for me is the transport improvements with the rail link and link roads. Currently it doesn't give a very good impression for those visiting Wales coming through the airport.

The improvements to Five Mile Lane and proposed Pendoylan by-pass are certainly a plus. I'm at a loss though as to why there are still no improvements planned for the A4050. At the very least it should be duelled between Culverhouse Cross and the Barry Docks link road - preferably with grade seperated junctions replacing the roundabouts.

I dream about this every time I catch the T9 bus.

What I really dream about on the bus is a direct road into Cardiff.

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 7:42 am

Welsh Government has paid Qatar Airways £1m to promote Wales across the world. Qatar is also committing £1m to marketing Wales. This is a two year deal, with an extension available for the same amount of money for an extra two years.
I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Honestly I was expecting it to be more, and Welsh Government need to be spending more to focus on inbound tourism. Qatar are posting a lot about Cardiff and Wales on their social media and it seems to get good attention. What really matters is the outbound numbers to Cardiff, but we'll never know those unless Qatar release the numbers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44810051

jonbvn

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 10:59 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:Welsh Government has paid Qatar Airways £1m to promote Wales across the world. Qatar is also committing £1m to marketing Wales. This is a two year deal, with an extension available for the same amount of money for an extra two years.
I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Honestly I was expecting it to be more, and Welsh Government need to be spending more to focus on inbound tourism. Qatar are posting a lot about Cardiff and Wales on their social media and it seems to get good attention. What really matters is the outbound numbers to Cardiff, but we'll never know those unless Qatar release the numbers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44810051

£1m is less than derisory.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 9:56 am

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... s-15010945

Cardiff and Vale College confirms plans for new multi million pound campus, and it looks to be at Cardiff Airport. This fits in with the educational centre on the draft master plan for the new airport terminal. Interesting.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum