It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

redragon

Re: Cardiff airport

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Zach

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 2:19 pm

A German airline is ending its flights between Cardiff and Dusseldorf. :(

Germanwings said the summer service would not return in 2015 as the route "der nicht meet our expectations, ja!", "und Die Flughafen ist eine Scheißen Holle"

Seriously, why would anyone start a 'once a week' flight between Cardiff and Düsseldorf unless your name is Rolph. :shock:

Jantra

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 2:25 pm

:lol:

Zach

PostTue Nov 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Long-haul future for Cardiff Airport, says Carwyn Jones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-30101740

He said there was potential to widen Cardiff's runway to accommodate an Airbus A380, the world's largest passenger plane.

This is Our First Minister!! the guy is a idiot, worse than an idiot in fact a deluded idiot.

Long Haul hub, the airport can't even fill the planes to Málaga let alone Malaysia :?:

Neil

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 11:03 am

Well at the moment if you're going long haul, chances are you're going to be flying from Heathrow or Gatwick, neither of which is a picnic to get to either by car or public transport so going from Cardiff shouldn't be any harder.

I think there is some merit in getting a chuck of cheaper long haul operators to fly from Cardiff and take some pressure off the south east, I know it'd appeal to passengers in south west England as well as south Wales.

As was said there's no point in competing for the European routes, Bristol has that covered.

RandomComment

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 11:36 am

Cardiff could probably do more long haul charter, but scheduled will be difficult - a lot of the traffic is fed in via the hubs. So, people arrive from Edinburgh, or Lyon, or Prague.. and fly on to Washington DC, Atlanta, Las Vegas.. etc. Maybe, just maybe, a NYC route would be feasible without a hub, but it couldn't be that frequent. Probably more chance of getting a few more flights to Florida, Dominican Republic, perhaps Las Vegas. etc.

zygoticmynci

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 11:56 am

This pretty much sums up Cardiff airport:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eGwjqh_eQQ&feature=youtu.be

Linc

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 12:47 pm

zygoticmynci wrote:This pretty much sums up Cardiff airport.....

You've got it in one! :roll:
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you have only today

mustrum_ridcully

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 1:56 pm

What a tool Carwyn is.

In order to be viable they'd have to pull passengers in from areas where it far quicker to drive/travel to Birmingham or Heathrow. I'd go as far as to say that to be a successful long haul airport you need to have a multi-million population urban area.

As the Spanish have shown, it doesn't matter how nice and shiny an airport is (and how much money you throw at it) if the punters and economy can't support it then it won't be successful. I think the famous one is Ciudad Real, which funnily enough is about 150miles from Madrid (similar distance between CWL and London), was dreamt up as an alternative to Madrid-Barajas airport (a bit like the idea of Cardiff as a hub if Boris Island got built).

wizard

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 9:34 pm

To be honest, it's all turning out exactly as we expected isn't it?
I cringe when I hear the constant talking up of this facility in the Welsh media. It's worrying, and makes me question whether other stuff (which I know less about) is also similarly exaggerated to spin a fictional yarn of success and boundless potential.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum