It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Cardiff airport

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/cardiff-vale-college-confirm-plans-15010945

Cardiff and Vale College confirms plans for new multi million pound campus, and it looks to be at Cardiff Airport. This fits in with the educational centre on the draft master plan for the new airport terminal. Interesting.

That would be a pretty logical move as Rhoose is fairly convenient for both Barry and the western vale with rapidly improving public transport links. There was a college called 'Coleg y Fro' located close to the original terminal at one time. The site was chosen for precisely those reasons.

Lewisbeecham

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 11:33 am

I think it's a pretty wise move. It means they could potentially justify a direct rail link without having to have millions upon millions of annual air passengers.

jonbvn

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:46 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:I think it's a pretty wise move. It means they could potentially justify a direct rail link without having to have millions upon millions of annual air passengers.

Anything that improves transport links to the airport has to be good. An M4 spur would be a dream come true.

Ash

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 2:57 pm

jonbvn wrote: Anything that improves transport links to the airport has to be good. An M4 spur would be a dream come true.

Fat chance! Ideally the improvements to Five Mile Lane and the proposed Pendoylan by-pass should have involved duelling to provide a good alternative route between Barry and the valleys as well as a better airport link. It may happen eventually but not any time soon.

jonbvn

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:38 am

Ash wrote:
jonbvn wrote: Anything that improves transport links to the airport has to be good. An M4 spur would be a dream come true.

Fat chance! Ideally the improvements to Five Mile Lane and the proposed Pendoylan by-pass should have involved duelling to provide a good alternative route between Barry and the valleys as well as a better airport link. It may happen eventually but not any time soon.

I joked with someone on twitter that it may just happen just before we all have flying cars. :lol:

Rhodri

PostWed Aug 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Airport just passed 1 million passengers for the calendar year.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 10:04 am

halfnhalf wrote:1 million by august hahaha
so nearly back to the year 2000
bonus all round for the assembly
mean time newquay airport is at 500000 up by a third since last year

Well in all fairness if it hadn't been for the Welsh Assembly intervening we may not have an airport now!!
I'm just pleased that this ship (pardon the non-pun!) has been turned around and is heading in the right direction!
I recently used the airport and found it very good - next stop 2million!!!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

HalRobsonKanu

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 11:28 am

Absolutely Paul. The key thing is that the airport seems to be moving slowly but surely in the right direction, after a period of seemingly interminable decline under the previous ownership.

Simon_SW17

I flew out of CWL in June, I live in London so very rarely fly from Cardiff.

The departures lounge is now massive, although mostly empty, and the bar & shops are much better than previously.

However, security looks like a makeshift set up and is way too small. Prices in the bar were eye watering. Nearly £6 for a pint and they had standard priced burgers for £15! We didn't eat.

The lack of piers to the planes make it feel like a tiny regional airport.

Flying back, the e-passport gates have been removed, seems very strange.

A long way to go.

Rhodri

halfnhalf wrote:1 million by august hahaha
so nearly back to the year 2000
bonus all round for the assembly
mean time newquay airport is at 500000 up by a third since last year

Don't be a prat.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum