It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Msmurf

Re: Cardiff airport

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 8:44 am

The last two long haul flights i was on were both less than 50% full - from Amsterdam. The last month is a low season but will be interesting to see passenger numbers over summer holiday period.7
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 9:05 am

CAA Stats for May 2018
The airport saw 164,897 passengers through the terminal up 12% on last year. The rolling 12 month total was 1,511,504 up 9.2% on 2017.

Doha had 2965 passengers for the month. Not too bad. But could be better. Thats roughly 30% capacity for the month. May was always going to be low-ish, with the initial flights home being almost empty. People don't fly out and back the next day. Qatar has committeed to at least 3 years at the airport. The interest statistics will be over the summer period (June/July/August) and how May 2019 compares. They need to grow the route.

152 tones of freight came through the airport in May, compared to ZERO in May 2017. This is the real money generator of the Qatar route.

All routes to Doha across the UK (Heathrow, Birmingham, Manchester and Edinburgh) were down. Heathrow was down 20,000pax from May 2017. The political situation in the gulf has not helped the airline.

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 am

I'm sure that I've heard it said (possibly by somebody on this message board) that the freight is what makes this route economically viable and that passenger numbers are a bonus. Anyone know if that's right?

Ash

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 10:12 am

From memory, I think QA said that the route could pay its way on freight and busiess class, i.e If both were fully booked, economy passengers would provide the profit.

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks Ash.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 10:16 am

The route is all about the cargo. From a Facebook group that consists of workers from the Airport, the afternoon flights are now regularly having 200+ economy passengers. Morning flight isn't as popular. But the passenger numbers are exeeding expectations.

So much so that the frequency has been increased from 5x weekly in May 2019 to 6x weekly. It's then daily from June-October.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 10:39 am

TUI have also just started advertising packages using the Qatar flight to numerous places in the far East.

Bali
Thailand has 3 offerings.
Khao Lak
Krabi
Phuket
Sri Lanka
Maldives

That'll certainly help the economy figures.

Shminky Binky

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:TUI have also just started advertising packages using the Qatar flight to numerous places in the far East.

Bali
Khao Lak
Krabi
Phuket
Sri Lanka
Maldives

I was curious to see what they were offering for the Maldives, as that is where i went for my honeymoon. Every option i tried for this year was sold out.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 3:02 pm

Shminky Binky wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:TUI have also just started advertising packages using the Qatar flight to numerous places in the far East.

Bali
Khao Lak
Krabi
Phuket
Sri Lanka
Maldives

I was curious to see what they were offering for the Maldives, as that is where i went for my honeymoon. Every option i tried for this year was sold out.

Hmm... perhaps they will be on sale by Monday? I'd be surprised if it was completely sold out. Odd!

Shminky Binky

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Shminky Binky wrote:

Bali
Khao Lak
Krabi
Phuket
Sri Lanka
Maldives

Hmm... perhaps they will be on sale by Monday? I'd be surprised if it was completely sold out. Odd!

I thought the same so i tried Thailand and options were provided.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum