It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:16 pm

The Left Bank

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: The Left Bank

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 2:19 pm

riverside and strangetown are resi areas. Other than turfing occupiers out of their homes, there isn't much that can be done unless its on the main drag through Tudor Road.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 6:02 pm

Karl wrote:I've always wondered why Riverside isn't more popular. There is some nice period housing, it's close to town and cheaper than Pontcanna. The buildings in Tudor Street only need a paint job for the most part. It could be a mini City Rd. Fitzhammon Embankment could be tarted up with some more hostels, b and b's, a few restaurants maybe.

It'll surely takes a little time but I agree, up until recently the edge of town seemed to be approximately marland house!, (depressing thought!) wood street has been on the decline for some time. No one seemed to bother much with the stadium plaza. With activity on the up now, with development of central square, completion of no 1 central sq and some decent tenants at the stadium plaza, the edge of town has moved back to the Taff! This has brought Grangetown and Riverside closer with I'm sure positive effects on the area - and this will only get better with further substantial development of central square.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 8:25 pm

I've compared Tudor Street today to the version on Google maps and there's been a slight decline. About 22 businesses are open with five vacant shops. I walk through most days of the week and the area is pretty busy, but as the commercial hub of the most ethnically diverse sub-ward level area in Wales the area is bound to experience a certain amount of flux.

It wouldn't surprise me if another high quality backpacker place were to open eventually.

Ash

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 10:35 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I've compared Tudor Street today to the version on Google maps and there's been a slight decline. About 22 businesses are open with five vacant shops. I walk through most days of the week and the area is pretty busy, but as the commercial hub of the most ethnically diverse sub-ward level area in Wales the area is bound to experience a certain amount of flux.

It wouldn't surprise me if another high quality backpacker place were to open eventually.

It's more than flux though - it's neglect. Tudor Street needs the sort of coordinated planning that the council has progressed in the Grangetown District Centre project and in Clifton Street.

You may have noticed on your walks that the Riverside Restaurant has a "For Sale due to relocation" board up. The Riverside has been a Tudor Street institution for the best part of four decades. If they're giving up the ghost something is seriously wrong.

I'm sorry if you think I come across as being somehow hostile or negative about the area. I'm not - I'm just frustrated that so little is being made of it.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 10:56 pm

That move by the Riverside is a complete mystery? and where they are moving to is even more mysterious... The Old Ninian Park pub! Hope it works out for them anyway Back to Tudor Street... yes it doesn't seem to have been gifted with much tlc. Mind you, if I was a rich man (I can feel a song coming on) I would love to start buying those 3 storey houses town end of tudor street - reckon they'll be worth a pretty penny in 5yrs ish.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Mr Blue Sky

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Ash wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:I've compared Tudor Street today to the version on Google maps and there's been a slight decline. About 22 businesses are open with five vacant shops. I walk through most days of the week and the area is pretty busy, but as the commercial hub of the most ethnically diverse sub-ward level area in Wales the area is bound to experience a certain amount of flux.

It's more than flux though - it's neglect. Tudor Street needs the sort of coordinated planning that the council has progressed in the Grangetown District Centre project and in Clifton Street.

You may have noticed on your walks that the Riverside Restaurant has a "For Sale due to relocation" board up. The Riverside has been a Tudor Street institution for the best part of four decades. If they're giving up the ghost something is seriously wrong.

I'm sorry if you think I come across as being somehow hostile or negative about the area. I'm not - I'm just frustrated that so little is being made of it.

The Riverside have moved to the Nin due to a lack of parking. It is residents only on Beauchamp Street.

Glen

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 11:00 pm

Actually it's the right bank, the right and left bank of a river is always relative to a point looking downstream.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum