It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 am

Callaghan - John Street

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Re: Callaghan - John Street

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 5:25 pm

I can't find it on the forum but we had a good conversation going about the railway arches around here.

I've just had a friend urge me to sign a petition to 'save the arches' or more specifically the arts in the arches. Apparently they've been used as art spaces for 30 years. Aren't there plans for bars?

sweetfeet

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 5:59 pm

RandomComment

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Afraid to say I think using the arches for restaurants/bars/shops means more people can use and see them - in what will be basically a city centre site. There is lots of cheap space available for the creative ventures currently using them to move to, albeit not so central. Then again, if they are relying on direct vehicular access, wouldn't an out-of-centre location be more appropriate anyway?

Cen

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 1:52 am

With all due respect to the arts centres based here (I used to be involved in the Cardiff music scene) the arches have not been kept in a respectable state, and are not suitable for a city centre location that is officially part of the business district. I actually think they've done pretty well to last as long as they have there. There are many other available spaces in the city for such places, and to be honest I think the quirky nature of the railway arches is the only reason these arts rooms are there. They are definitely not there out of necessity. Who actually owns these anyway?

sweetfeet

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 6:34 am

I agree they'd be better as bars/restaurants/shops/small offices - ideally with the entrances fully glazed like the ones near the university buildings in Manchester. Is that the plan then as part of the new JR Smart development or are we just speculating?

Frank

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 11:21 am

To be honest when I first saw the petition I thought it was more a matter of stopping the development. That's now understood but they don't want to lose the space. Given the city centre does now obviously stretch below the railway line I do think we could do with smartening things up somehow. The various railway bridges in the city centre are not wonderfully appealing. There's usually some evidence of bird presence ;)

Peiriannydd

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 1:07 pm

I really wish people would get in the real world! Just take a look at the comparison below and ask yourself which scenario would benefit the city centre more. London-style use of the arches or a run-down shed used by creative industries I've never even heard of? Hmmm... difficult one!

I feel that Cardiff's centre is badly divided by the railway line and Network Rail's southern entrance to Cardiff Central Station has done little to solve the problem. There is little life south of the track and Callaghan Square feels like an empty, wind-swept field at times. This development could provide a much-needed link to Callaghan Squre and Capital Quarter.
Attachments
Railway Arches Comparison.jpg
Railway Arches Comparison.jpg (120.49 KiB) Viewed 10538 times

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 11:30 am

At last some press coverage of one of the biggest office developments EVER in Cardiff, and it's about objections to it!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/developer-wants-build-office-block-11706666

Surely a reasonable compromise can be found here that will be mutually beneficial, this is like finding a musical field mouse!!

CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 11:49 am

I find it odd how they still haven't covered the project. It's been mentioned twice now, the other time being the government hub shortlist article earlier this week.

I wonder if J R Smart and Walesonline have had a falling out? They used to cover their projects quite well, but there's been nothing for ages. Likewise the number 4 capital quarter application, where's that in the news?

Cen

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Initially I was partially sympathetic, but their comments have shown the ignorance of these people. This is a city centre site OWNED by somebody else. It's not your decision. And I highly doubt it will reduce their custom... The current entrances are hardly stunning facades. I also find WalesOnline's approach rather cynical, posting a link to the petition without even posting an article on the project itself! I really do hope these people get shut down. There was plenty of time to voice concerns before.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum