It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:48 pm

Callaghan - John Street

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: Callaghan - John Street

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 8:06 am

HMRC are moving, i have had it from three different sources who work at Ty Glas. All have said it will be a purpose built building on CSq

Frank

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 12:17 pm

I believe HMRC have already moved people into Brunel House. If they want everyone together then I assume they'll need a purpose-built facility in the future.

murfilicious

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 8:39 am

Whatever happened to the plans to tidy up the roads around Callaghan Square?

Found an old WalesOnline article (always reliable!) which stated that it had been on hold since 2003, but in 2011 they had permission from Network Rail to widen the road underneath the Railway Bridge.

It's 2016 and still no sign of work - is this ever happening?
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Jantra

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 9:37 am

the council and WG once stated that they would both contribute several £m per annum to this project and it never happened. it turned out to be the usual political bluster and rhetoric

Karl

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:33 am

Whilst it would be a big improvement on whats there now that square is still way too big for the scale of the buildings. It would be a windswept ad-hoc skateboard park/hang out for the unfortuantes at the nearby Huggard Centre. We just don't do squares in Cardiff.

A few years ago when Wales were playing Germany at football I was approached by a beered up group of lug heads from east of the Rhine who asked 'Where your main square?' with the obvious intention of setting up their flags, getting even more aled up and generally being a nuisance. Being an obliging chap I pointed them towards Central Square which by it's very name suggested that it was the nerve centre of city life. I often wonder which bus shelter they took over - or perhaps they decamped outside the Sue Ryder charity shop. In truth I couldn't think of any other square in Cardiff.

Jantra

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:46 am

the hayes by the library?

I always thought that CSq would be better if it was the same as the image above but with an office block right in the middle of it. it would improve the density and give it a better feel. you could then have two squares either side of the central office block.

Cen

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 11:04 am

I think Callaghan square has genuine potential. The surrounding schemes just need full backing and, most importantly, ease of pedestrian access! It's just not worth the effort of going there currently due to it being pretty deserted and generally difficult to walk to. It's also devoid of any character. Until the road situation is solved, and some retailers/cafes/restaurants move into the proposed developments, it'll stay in it's pretty sorry state. But I do think the John Street tower and the two nearby student towers will help tremendously if the developers follow through with their landscaping and surrounding area plans. If they follow through at all, that is...

Cardiff

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 5:56 pm

I walk through the square nearly every day, and during the day time in the summer there were a few people from the local businesses enjoying the sun, having a smoke or having a small lunch. in the evening though its a skate park and they have done a good job a damaging most of the seating etc around there. If you work around this area there isnt really anywhere you can get away from the office and have a quiet sit down for lunch or just a bit of peace, Callaghan Square is about as close you can get as its less busy. It just needs to get rid of the red brick and have seating areas around green spaces.

Kyle

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 1:27 pm

There's some activity at this site today, around half a dozen men in orange jackets.

Curious what they might be up to considering the HMRC plans that have been in the news.

Maybe they've got a plan B for the site or are going ahead regardless, which doesn't quite add up I know.

Cen

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Well office take-up in the city seems to be staying strong. So either they have an unconfirmed deal with the MoJ or another govt. department, or maybe they have confidence that they can fill at least enough of the building to make it viable. There's now a shortage of available Grade A space after No 2 Central Square has been pretty much fully let without being anywhere near completion. Or, as you said, there could be a plan B.

I like this scheme. Not just the building itself, but the wider regeneration plans too. So fingers crossed!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum