It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am

S4C HQ

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mathew5

S4C HQ

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 10:15 pm

So S4C HQ will leave Llanisien and move to Carmarthen. Here's a flythrough...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... XMdT0rDNo8

However the technical/broadcast side will be in the new BBC Wales central station.

Zach

Re: S4C HQ

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 10:25 am

However the technical/broadcast side will be in the new BBC Wales central station.

I have to laugh at the S4C "control rooms", when they launched the original S4C HD service a few years back, they had two control rooms side by side one SD and one HD with about 20 monitors in each room, all showing the exactly the same kids programme feed from Boomerang! The highlight for the operators were the commercial breaks.

The CTA just had banks of devices receive video from their various programme companies and some more to send the output to the transmission platforms. I could have run it from my bedroom.

This should all be done within the new BBC central square building and the the new Carmarthen HQ be just for offices.

S4C the most expensive TV service in the world per viewer by a long, long way.

Peiriannydd

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 1:21 pm

It will come as no surprise (as the name suggests) that I am passionate about the Welsh language. But S4C really p*sses me off! Their programmes, generally, are utter rubbish and most people only watch it for the rugby. They are in no way providing value for money for the approximate 700,000+ Welsh speakers across the UK.

In comparison, take a look at BBC Alba. They have quite a broad range of programmes, especially documentaries, which are all in Gaelic. Considering the 2011 census of Scotland showed that only 57,375 people (1.1% of the Scottish population aged over three years old) could "speak" Gaelic, they seem to be providing far more choice for a much smaller audience.

There really needs to be a sensible debate regarding this channel and its use of public funds without the vitriolic rantings of monoglots!

Glen

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 4:54 pm

BBC Wales English language output is no better, City Rd for instance could have been a really interesting series exploring its history and changing culture but what I’ve seen of it was truly dismal and pointless.
Listening to a ladies hairdresser drone on about his failing business is hardly riveting TV.
Low budget programs like X-Ray and Week In Week Out are equally poor.

About the only thing TV in Wales covers with any degree of competency is rugby, probably because that is where the bulk of their resources go.

As for so called ITV Wales…………..

Rhodri

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 5:29 pm

BBC Wales coverage of rugby on television is appalling. Radio is much better.

LocalLurker

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Tbf I enjoy stuff like Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience, Iolo's series in the Brecon Beacons and even Derek's Weatherman Walks but to be honest, the rest of BBC Wales' output is lacking :roll:

Mathew5

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 6:38 pm

As an ex-employee of S4C I can confirm that Maori Television in New Zealand is more expensive.

Amoore

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 1:27 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:It will come as no surprise (as the name suggests) that I am passionate about the Welsh language. But S4C really p*sses me off! Their programmes, generally, are utter rubbish and most people only watch it for the rugby. They are in no way providing value for money for the approximate 700,000+ Welsh speakers across the UK.

In comparison, take a look at BBC Alba. They have quite a broad range of programmes, especially documentaries, which are all in Gaelic. Considering the 2011 census of Scotland showed that only 57,375 people (1.1% of the Scottish population aged over three years old) could "speak" Gaelic, they seem to be providing far more choice for a much smaller audience.

There really needs to be a sensible debate regarding this channel and its use of public funds without the vitriolic rantings of monoglots!

I think there is a lot of scope for S4C to become a much trimmed down BBC Cymru. It could have a small budget for original programmes, and the schedule beefed up with Welsh language dubs of national BBC shows.

Ben In London

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 10:26 am

I hadn't realised it was moving out of Cardiff. Will any talented young individuals there really move out of a dynamic capital to set up in Carmarthen? The BBC lost key talent when it moved the sport department to MANCHESTER!

penarth bloke

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 1:34 pm

Ben In London wrote:I hadn't realised it was moving out of Cardiff. Will any talented young individuals there really move out of a dynamic capital to set up in Carmarthen? The BBC lost key talent when it moved the sport department to MANCHESTER!

I think that it's good that an organisation like this is moving out of Cardiff. It would be nice to see others, such as government depts doing the same and spreading decision making and helping to create better jobs, which could benefit the Welsh language.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum