It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 am

Pontypridd precinct

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Pontypridd precinct

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 1:45 pm

OK, not Cardiff.. but close by:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/new-details-pontypridd-precinct-site-11756875

Anyone who knows Pontypridd knows that there have been plans for this site back to the late 80s. That controversy over earlier plans which involved building a car park in a small (and not very nice) corner of the town park stopped anything happening for years. And then when a scheme was agreed which avoided such a car park, it got hit by the late 2000s downturn. And then a cutdown scheme proposed after the downturn - consisting of only 5 main units aimed at value retailers - hit the buffers too. Finally we have a new scheme proposed by the council - which therefore looks a bit more likely to actually happen.

But we've gone from proposals for a scheme of around 300,000 square feet of retail space in the mid-90s, including "a department store" (most likely Debenhams), to a scheme which now contains no retail space whatsoever. Instead it includes a small amount of A3 space, and around 90,000 square feet of office space (one has to think where the demand for this space is going to come from, unless it is the public sector).

I can't help but be disappointed, even if the scheme looks quite nice. It won't really add to the vibrancy of the town, or pull more people in for their shopping. A town that could probably serve as a key retail destination for a population of around 150,000 is going to become ever less attractive as a retail destination - especially if the Talbot Green 'new town centre' gets built. Depressing!

Cardiff

Re: Pontypridd precinct

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 5:18 pm

I dont think Pontys future lies in retail, most people shop online and if you want to shop then it is easier and most likely cheaper to visit Cardiff. I think Pontys best option is to build on leisure and food to bring people to the center and also develop more of a town center community. the riverside is woefully underused, as is the case in 99% of Welsh town compared to Scottish or English towns, and would provide attractive commuter accommodation over looking Anysyngharad (?) park and bring money to the center.

i also think this development is very incongruous to the surrounds and Pontys style of darker stone buildings, sticks out as much as the building it replaced.

Rhodri

PostThu Aug 18, 2016 7:38 pm

Sadly this is as good as it will get for Pontypridd. It's lost its reason & direction. Shame.

Kyle

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 9:53 am

Cardiff wrote:I dont think Pontys future lies in retail, most people shop online and if you want to shop then it is easier and most likely cheaper to visit Cardiff. I think Pontys best option is to build on leisure and food to bring people to the center and also develop more of a town center community. the riverside is woefully underused, as is the case in 99% of Welsh town compared to Scottish or English towns, and would provide attractive commuter accommodation over looking Anysyngharad (?) park and bring money to the center.

i also think this development is very incongruous to the surrounds and Pontys style of darker stone buildings, sticks out as much as the building it replaced.

Cardiff isn't it's only threat. As Random said there's shops in Talbot Green, but on top of that there's a half decent set of high street type stores just off the A470 in Merthyr. If you live in the valleys sometimes a drive into Cardiff is a pain in be arse when you only want to go to a handful of stores, the shops in Merthyr or Talbot Green are perfect for that. It's as quick to get to those places as central Cardiff and there's free parking. Based on that sort of competition what retail Ponty would get in the town centre stands little chance of success.

As for offices I can see a small market, but it depends on accessibility for staff. There's plenty of private sector employers outside of Cardiff. Caerphilly is an example of a small town with a number of small office based employers on the outskirts of the town centre and I don't see why Ponty can't do the same.

RandomComment

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 10:46 am

I think you're right on the retail front. It's been left too long and other facilities that weren't there 15-20 years ago when the ambitious "Fountain Walk" scheme were proposed (like Cyfarthfa, the expanded and potentially still expanding Talbot Green) now make it unviable. But I would think a few units for the value retailers - like Wilko (still missing from the area) - may have worked. Although perhaps they think they can divvy up the M&S unit to satisfy this demand?

I don't see majoring on Food and Leisure as much of an option unfortunately. There is a large bowling alley and cinema at Nantgarw. Food on its own rarely works - it needs a retail or leisure anchor - unless the area itself is a destination (like Cardiff Bay).

But I'm still disappointed with what is proposed. The scheme tries to reunite Taff Street with the river but doesn't do it very successfully in my view. The images seem to show dead frontages with overhangs overlooking the river. Perfect for dopeheads to light up in a spot sheltered from the rain and away from prying eyes. Just look at the river walk they built perhaps 15 year ago. Overgrown with weeds, a magnet for druggies, and leading to nowhere in particular.

I think they probably should have included a couple of A1/A2 units and perhaps four A3 units (2 on the river, 2 on taff street) to animate the ground floors. In addition to the office space I would have looked in to demand for residential and student residential, perhaps on the Gas Lane site. And I would have looked at demand for something like a Travelodge or other budget hotel option. I would have thought a University must create some demand for hotel accomodation!

Maybe they did all this but I think they have become very risk averse after so many schemes have failed. They want to go for something relatively cheap, and what might appear relatively safe. I think in doing so they are making something that is "too late", far "too little" as well.

RandomComment

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 1:50 pm

For those interested here are some of the earlier plans:

The 2006 scheme consisted of a Debenhams store, around 25 other retail units both fronting Taff St and on an internal "mall" (which a bit like Cabot Circus in Bristol was to be partially covered and partially exposed), 5 A3 units (including 4 overlooking the Taff), a new footbridge over the river, a small hotel, a bit of office space, some flats and associated car parking to be accessed via a bridge over Taff St. This was the scheme that finally got approval (in 2007) just before the financial crisis.
http://documents.rctcbc.gov.uk/AniteIM. ... 55xhi2ri55))/Results.aspx?grdResultsP=1

The 2002 scheme consisted of a Sainsbury's supermarket, a similar quantum of retail space, and office space, and a car park to be located on a small part of Ynysyngharad park, with bridges over the Taff and some disabled parking in front of the supermarket. Unfortunately I cannot find plans online for this development.

Simon_SW17

PostSun Aug 28, 2016 10:29 pm

I think this is a sad sign of the current state of retail in Ponty, excitement over a cheap clothing chain opening.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/great-news-pontypridd-discount-clothing-11792251

RandomComment

PostSun Aug 28, 2016 11:15 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:I think this is a sad sign of the current state of retail in Ponty, excitement over a cheap clothing chain opening.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/great-news-pontypridd-discount-clothing-11792251

That's the over-the-top PR from the developer of the property, and the shoddy journalism of MediaWales working together. Just look at the quote:

"This is huge for the town, great news for Pontypridd. The footfall it will bring will be brilliant."

Its almost Trump-esque in its over-the-topness.

In reality its good to see a fashion store opening. But the big question is can they get someone into the former M&S unit? I think Primark should take the risk of opening in the Valleys. The rent would be rock-bottom and they'd get quite a lot of custom I think given the good rail and bus links Ponty still has.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum