It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 am

Cardiff (unexpectedly divided city)

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Cardiff (unexpectedly divided city)

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Saw this is the Sunday Times yesterday and it was also being talked about on BBC Radio 2 this morning. (Yes, I am old before my time!!)

I have to say, it's true.
Lloyd George down to the bay has become a 20-34 year old ghetto. So much for mixed housing.
Another reason is the poor transport down from the Valleys and the cost of family housing in nearby suburbs (and Penarth!!)
Why is Bristol so different I wonder, even apartments in the city centre there are not all 20-34 age groups.

Cen

Re: Cardiff (unexpectedly divided city)

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 6:43 pm

I find this rather insulting (and completely unfounded). First of all, the assumption that 20-34 year olds are inherently scummier than everybody else is just untrue. The figures are also massively skewed by Cardiff's large proportion of students, which are more or less forced to live in the same areas. Note how all the cities listed are student hotspots. This has literally no bearing on anything.

Peiriannydd

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 8:07 pm

Zach wrote:
Why is Bristol so different I wonder, even apartments in the city centre there are not all 20-34 age groups.

Have you seen how expensive city-centre apartments are in Bristol? The price tag might indicate why older people are buying them, they are the only ones who can afford them.

redragon

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 7:39 am

Of course young people will actually get older in time...

Ben In London

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 9:36 am

redragon wrote:Of course young people will actually get older in time...

But presumably move out.

Here in London I used to live in a Zone 1 apartment! Now, with a wife and daughter I have a house and proper garden out in Zone 4.

jonbvn

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 2:05 pm

Here's the article from the Indie - no pay-wall.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 14686.html

Given the student populations, IMHO this article and the statistics are frivolous. Do they really expect families with a couple of kids to move away from good school catchment areas into the city centre? Do they really expect students to experience the wild nightlife of Radyr, Cyncoed & Rhiwbina?

lucky

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Are these people saying that only young people live in Cardiff Bay? I must tell my Mother (87), she'll be delighted to be characterised as such.

Cardiff

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 5:24 pm

From my area of the bay most people who own apartments and live here permanently are older retirees, or childless couples. Funny how apartments are more attractive to those without kids ;)

Saying that i do think there should be better provision of schools etc for the new communities in the bay, finding a GP and dentist are a nightmare!

Zach

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 6:20 pm

lucky wrote:Are these people saying that only young people live in Cardiff Bay? I must tell my Mother (87), she'll be delighted to be characterised as such.

I think the figure was 80% so if my maths is right that'll leave, let see 20%.
So plenty of room for your mother (87) in these stats'

I know people who live down the bay and how do I put this...
If you want your kids to go to a good school then you pick a Welsh language/Religous school in a suburb as the demographic in the few primary/secondary schools in the bay has been skewed in the last 5 years to those born outside the UK.
Hence older people are leaving the Bay and willing to pay way over the odds for housing near good schools.
Accommodation in the Bay has in no way kept up with prices in the suburbs.
When Adventurers Wharf was built it did have one of the highest price tags around, £500k which was 2/3 times a family home in the suburbs.
10 years later they are the same price while suburbs have caught up. same is true for Lloyd George avenue, they are now cheap flats, relatively speaking.

lucky

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 7:55 pm

The overpricing of waterside developments in their early stages seems universal. Then they slump for a bit, the people who bought to let or make a quick profit get disillusioned and sell on, keeping prices depressed, then as the infrastructure improves they go up again. But yes, it's ludicrous that basic health services are so scarce.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum