It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

Bradley Court, Park Place Redevelopment

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

moyceyyy

Re: Bradley Court, Park Place Redevelopment

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 7:25 pm

URBANO wrote:I don't understand what you are trying to say. But insofar as I can discern any possible argument it's that development would be much worse without the planning system. Lets drop the comparisons, they may just be clogging the issue. Instead, let's just take one place...., say, Bath. Before 1947 Bath was a gem, a complete (in appearance ) Georgian / Victorian city. Since 1947 its been raped.

And Cardiff was what you describe as 'raped' from the 1850's. Had the 1947 Act not been passed, Bath and Cardiff would have been 'raped' and then killed. Then burned just to make sure. The point i'm trying to make is that, at least we have houses that are being built to acceptable healthcare, spacial, environmental and social standards.

These towers (especially) the Charles street one, will look terrible I agree, and is nothing like that we saw in the renders (which looked superb). However, on top of the standards (above) that are being met, these towers are attempting to stop urban sprawl, de-couraging car use and encouraging public transport use, and maintaining the 'green belt' to preserve the biodiversity and habitats of the rural-urban fringe.

Just for clarification also, I do agree with your points about our urban landscape needing to look good (and recognizing Cardiff is not on its way to this), but saying the planning system is useless goes a bit too deep into the land of tin-foil hats for me.

moyceyyy

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 7:26 pm

I'll make a new thread for this sort of thing now.

Jantra

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 8:04 pm

For want of repeating myself, DaiB got it right when he said the finished product makes a mockery of the planning system. In that respect the planning system is useless. What's the point of having indicative drawings if the finished product is a country mile away in aesthetics and quality.

URBANO

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Some years ago, this used to be an engaging and very interesting forum, populated by people with very different strongly held,views .......but who approached a huge variety of issues with – yes – determination but also with wit , skill and intelligence. It was presided over by Paul in a tolerant and understanding manner .

Unfortunately, it has now become largely populated (with some notable exceptions- almost exclusively those from previous years) by people who cannot understand what is being said to them, or if they do understand seem incapable of continuing a debate other than on the crudest level , and who seem incapable of distinguishing between a hard edged debate and being hard edged. The consequence has been a level of debate at the lowest common denominator and which has become colossally predictable and boring. It has also become just a numbers game for Paul

What a pity.

Bluegazza

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:53 pm

Anyone know when this will be decided? Whatever you think of the new building (I quite like it) the old building looks awful now all boarded up, can't they knock it down like they did before building admiral HQ?

DJKiran

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 8:31 pm

Something must be happening with this because it's all fenced up: https://i.imgur.com/ZfTO644.jpg

Lyndon

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Bluegazza wrote:Anyone know when this will be decided? Whatever you think of the new building (I quite like it) the old building looks awful now all boarded up, can't they knock it down like they did before building admiral HQ?

It was approved at the last Planning Committee meeting a couple of weeks ago.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 8:41 pm

It's been locked up for months now.

Philnpt

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Looks like it’s had a height increase, now standing at 19 stories
https://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online- ... APR_125522

Owen

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Philnpt wrote:Looks like it’s had a height increase, now standing at 19 stories
https://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online- ... APR_125522

Argh, I fucking hate this development. I’d hoped it hadn’t started because it wasn’t going to proceed, not that they were re-jigging it to still make it viable. This is not the place for a tall building
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum