It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 pm

Harm Cardiffs reputation? Bus Lane cameras

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

dave

Harm Cardiffs reputation? Bus Lane cameras

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Do these new bus lane cameras harm cardiffs development? The money the council rakes in, and the pointless cameras catching motorists unaware, it is all about making money isnt it?

Does it stop people investing in cardiff?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... s-11945329

RandomComment

Re: Harm Cardiffs reputation? Bus Lane cameras

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 9:38 pm

Did you get caught?

Because I don't see the issue. Bus lanes are clearly signposted and marked - don't go in them.

Illegal turns also have signs saying "don't turn". Again, clearly marked.

So it shouldn't really be catching people unawares.

In many cases these have been in operation for quite a while before the cameras are put in place. Bus lanes are there to make bus travel relatively quicker and more attractive (both by speeding up buses and slowing down cars). They are less effective if other users also drive in them - and there is nothing more annoying to the driver doing the right thing than seeing someone else undercut you in a bus line. And these turns are either dangerous, or again, slow down traffic at junctions.

Use of cameras will raise revenue (always handy in cash-strapped time) and may act as a deterrent for people breaching these rules. Because without enforcement many people just happily go about rule breaking for their own convenience - without thinking about the impact on other people.

penarth bloke

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Break the law = Fine!

Jantra

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 10:12 pm

not as simple as some believe. turn left off st mary street into wood street and the road quickly splits into a bus lane. the warning sign indicates bus lan but doesnt say whether its the left hand or right hand lane

DaiB

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 6:40 am

Harm Cardiff's reputation? Dunno. Do they harm London? Glasgow? Belfast? Newcastle? Bristol? Reading? Leicester? Manchester? I think you'll struggle to find a major city that doesn't use them these days.

Neil

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 8:41 am

Absolutely not, there's a simple trick to avoiding being fined, obey the law. I'm really happy another camera is going in at the junction of Kingsway/Boulevard De Nantes to catch those arrogant knobs who try and cut into the line of traffic going into the city centre from North Road but end up driving down the bus lane, or those who just drive down the bus lane like it's their own private highway.

murfilicious

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 9:34 am

Yes the council are using it as a cash cow and they should be completely transparent about how much money is collected and where it is being spent - but that doesn't mean I don't agree with the cameras! Install cameras on every bus lane in the city, in fact why not go further and install them on every yellow box junction, every cycle lane, every loading bay etc. It is very very simple, obey the rules of the road and you won't be penalised. I don't understand why so many people think they can flout the rules of the road because of their own selfish attitude or ignorance and expect to get away with it!

Don't want to get caught by the new variable speed cameras on the M4? Just do the speed limit stated on the overhead gantry. Don't want to be fined for going in a bus lane? Simple, stay out of the bus lane! And while you're at it don't park in disabled/parent parking spaces unless you are eligible and stop blocking cycle lanes!

Rant over, for now
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Victor Clam

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 2:46 pm

murfilicious wrote:And while you're at it don't park in disabled/parent parking spaces unless you are eligible and stop blocking cycle lanes!

Rant over, for now

Don't get me started on people parking in parent spaces. There are some very selfish people around - particularly in that retail park on Newport Road (with M&S, Matalan, Homebase etc.)!!

I'd love to see some enforcement on this, because one of the key reasons these spaces are important is because they're generally the only ones near paved areas with access to zebra crossings so you can safely cross the road with young children.

As for bus lane cameras, yea - just don't go in the bus lanes.

dave

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 8:53 pm

polo
Last edited by dave on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyle

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 8:59 pm

dave wrote:It's not that easy. Bus lanes in Cardiff are a nightmare. If the money spent was spent on developments or a bus service maybe it is a good idea. But my fine money is being spent on a bus interchange at waun gron road! The motorist always has to pay more. Try getting from Cardiff to Abergavenny for my daily commute.

What's your daily commute to do with breaking the law?
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum