It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Central quay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: Central quay

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Not much to see but as it's been said I suspect the final result of the new arena, potential coach station and redeveloped Cardiff Central will play a huge part in the final design.

I like the current vision with the square and water front area. Cardiff needs more of that.

Cardiff

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 7:44 pm

I agree Lewisbeecham, the square with the preserved Brains building and chimney are a nice focus from the waterfront, which will be lovely if done well.

Ash

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Someome at Rightacres must read this board.

The Welsh spelling had been corrected!

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 9:17 pm

Ash wrote:Someome at Rightacres must read this board.

Wouldn't surprise me. This site comes up high on a Google search, it's how I found it.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Ash wrote:Someome at Rightacres must read this board.

Wouldn't surprise me. This site comes up high on a Google search, it's how I found it.

I'm surprised they haven't invited me to 8th floor central square to see master plans! ;)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Carlos

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 pm

I know these are only very early concepts but all looks a bit soulles. It would be good to preserve the houses, street pattern and some of the smaller scale old buildings (along with the main brewery building) to creat a more industrial/heritage type development along with the area across Penarth road. There are some lovely brick clad buildings going up in London for example which are still tall but could also complement this area more.

moyceyyy

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 2:13 am

My only concern is taller buildings. Lovely vision, but we absolutely cannot keep building fairly low-density buildings. The future is up, we are running out of space in our city centres.

Edit: just sent them a feedback sheet on the 'contact' tab on their website - explaining why higher density is important in cities these days. If anyone agrees with me, you should definitely send them some feedback too.

Msmurf

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 4:48 am

One comment that concerned me in the workshop note was that everyone was unhappy about car park - suggesting it is not needed! I am very heavily in favour of public transport, but this does not mean we can abandon the car in favour of cycling....we need to use all modes of transport. A large car park - preferably multi storey - is essential for railway users - but priced to avoid it being used for daily commuters.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 am

I have no problems with the proposed height. There are some tall proposed buildings for Cardiff there, and I agree that the residential area around the square needs be to lower to achieve that sense of community area and not to completely block out Grangetown.

This site needs a car park. Maybe not 600 spaces but a couple of hundred for sure.

Cen

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... n-13910124

Wales Online article with a render of one of the new buildings. Looks impressive!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum