It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:11 pm

Central quay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: Central quay

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 6:29 am

Great to see it start.

Any news on the Custom House street plot Paul if you have a contact at Watkin Jones?

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 4:12 pm

Hi Kyle - I'll ask next time I speak to my friend who works for them. Last time I asked... no news :cry: Now if this building came back as a build to rent - student accom seems unlikely and the one at Harlech house is built and the john st phase 2 also gets built - well that would be excellent!! however.. we'll see
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Msmurf

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 6:47 pm

The reason Custom House Street tower will only be built as student accomadation is the plot is too small for any carparking.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Kyle

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 6:53 am

Msmurf wrote:The reason Custom House Street tower will only be built as student accomadation is the plot is too small for any carparking.

I guess it would be too expensive to build multi-level
parking as part of the building then? Like a parking podium for say the first four levels and then the residential element being above it. It's how most apartments are built in Dubai, with a space or two per apartment. The one I most recently lived in had 3 levels of parking for 19 floors of apartments.

I think maybe the road configuration on that plot makes it difficult as well

elgdav

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 8:00 am

I think the space is too tight for multi storey parking there, unless you had a car lift, like I have seen in Asia, the ramps and lanes would take up the majority of the space

LRcardiff

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 8:35 am

Custom House, Harlech House and John Street Hotel that would be very nice!! Would create less demand for high rises in the canal quarter/motorpoint redevelopment but then that area of town is crying out for a proper green open area!

All these new offices and flats, nowhere in walking distance for them to enjoy the open air except a patch of turf in the capital quarter and the Rapports car park!

Kyle

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 8:49 am

elgdav wrote:I think the space is too tight for multi storey parking there, unless you had a car lift, like I have seen in Asia, the ramps and lanes would take up the majority of the space

Yeah I guess it's a really narrow plot.

Simon_SW17

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 12:34 pm

Msmurf wrote:The reason Custom House Street tower will only be built as student accomadation is the plot is too small for any carparking.

Many apartment developments in city centres are built without parking, I guess that with city centre living, a car is less important than out in the 'burbs. Retail and transport on your doorstep.

LRcardiff

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 5:34 pm

Capture-min.jpeg
Capture-min.jpeg (107.4 KiB) Viewed 3475 times

Not the most exciting building but plans for 51-59 Penarth Road submitted before Christmas to replace the Garage and Car wash next to St Mary's House.

Simon_SW17

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 6:18 pm

LRcardiff wrote:
Capture-min.jpeg

Not the most exciting building but plans for 51-59 Penarth Road submitted before Christmas to replace the Garage and Car wash next to St Mary's House.

Looks like they by passed any architects from that CGI.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum