It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 am

The old Post Office building - Westgate Street

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

MattW

The old Post Office building - Westgate Street

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 11:06 am

What a shame this amazing building has been vacant for so long. It is amazing inside and out -

http://www.propertybt.com/properties/wales/parkgate

It was for sale a few years ago for £11.5 million

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/old-post-office-westgate-street-5316585

Surely the owners should give up on letting it as offices and convert it into flats or a hotel perhaps?

jonnywill25

Re: The old Post Office building - Westgate Street

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 12:08 pm

When I opened the PDF and seen the imposing lobby area, the first thing I thought was.... HOTEL!

Cardiff is renowned for having a shortage of bedroom stock... (I'm sure this was highlighted when Cardiff was being considered as a host city for a massive event? Can't remember which exactly)

Surely there is demand for hotel space, especially in this location! BT Property should seriously consider re-marketing this as a potential hotel! It even has parking spaces.

That being said, what's the likelihood planning permission would be granted and how feasible would it be to convert the upper floor space?

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Wow that lobby! Hilton and St Davids eat your heart out! this has got 5 star hotel written all over it, and it's location will get better and better as central square continues to take shape and with more usage of westgate street (restaurants etc) plus potential development of cardiff arms park/wru. As I've said before, the only negative I can think of is the other side of the road :( . But even that should not deter from it being brought back to use. Really looking forward to the next chapter for this wonderful building and it lighting up this end of westgate street with sheer class!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Karl

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 2:25 pm

I thought some of this building was occupied by Cardiff Civil Justice Centre and is relatively well looked after? It's the building next door which is unoccupied and in danger of dereliction. I think that building is owned by the WRU.

Baysailor

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm thinking student housing!

MattW

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 3:17 pm

No, please no more student flats!

I would like to see it converted either into apartments or a luxury hotel - as the Rugby World Cup showed, when there is a big event on, everywhere in town is completely full!

I don't think it would be too difficult to get it through planning - although it is offices in a prime location, no one clearly wants to take it on - the fact it has been vacant for quite a few years should persuade the planners to allow it to go for something more useful.

Peiriannydd

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 8:48 pm

Wouldn't it be even nicer if it was actually used for the purpose it was built for, that is a Post Office? I'd love to post my letters/Christmas cards etc. there!

I love the way Dublin has retain their historic post office, although I accept there is a significant historic angle with the Easter Riser.

Also, until very recently, Melbourne was using its spectacular old post office on the corner of Burke and Elizabeth street. They have now turned it into a ridulous set of retail units that aren't practical and don't make the best use of the building.

RandomComment

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 10:44 pm

You have to understand why the Post Office moved out though. Running the universal service when other operators can cherry pick is a tough challenge for Royal Mail Group, and prices are regulated as well. So it needs to try to operate as efficiently as possible. Big old buildings that are expensive to maintain, have loads of space you don't really need any more, and are a bit away from the main drag - well, they're not ideal are they.

I agree the Foya is calling out for a change of use, and it'd look good in a hotel. Maybe the upper levels aren't amenable to conversion though. Maybe the floor plates are too large to allow efficient use of space, while making sure all rooms would have a window?

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum