It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

Dr Who Experience is closing

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Dr Who Experience is closing

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 2:38 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/w ... e-12138399

Question is... why?

If the lease has come up, and there are no immediate plans for development of the site, why not extend the lease for a couple of years? (perhaps on a rolling 2-year basis).

Or is the attraction's popularity falling (most of those who wanted to see it have seen it) making it uneconomical in its current site?

What could go to this area instead? The Bay needs another proper visitor attraction in my view. Something to draw crowds when the weather isn't so nice, thereby helping fill all the cafes and restaurants - including the new ones proposed in the container city.

Cen

Re: Dr Who Experience is closing

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 4:01 pm

This is a massive loss for the city. Doctor Who is a global phenomenon, and people really do add Cardiff to their UK visit just to see this, particularly Americans. I can't see this being a Cardiff Council decision, as they would know how valuable it is. I'd assume this is purely a BBC corporate decision to open a new one in London. How original... :roll:

This could also be the BBC just making noise to force some funding from the council to keep it there.

Zach

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 6:23 pm

They could turn it into the BBC Casualty Experience?
Open most Friday/Saturday nights, I am sure there would be the demand!!

lucky

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 12:56 am

The building, when it was first announced, was said to be a temporary structure only fit for five years. I wonder if that's related to this in any way?

Amoore

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 1:55 am

There was no intention of the attraction lasting beyond 5 years, hence the short lease - as said above, the tent will not be fit for purpose soon.

I would really love to see the Industrial & Maritime Museum finally restored - many of the exhibits are STILL in storage where they have been since it was demolished to make way for Mermaid Quay.

Cardiff

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 6:12 pm

isnt that museum in Swansea? Maybe there will be room in container city for Doctor Who Casualty?

Amoore

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 2:23 pm

Only a handful of exhibits were moved to Swansea, the rest were put into storage (in Nantgarw somewhere I think)

Zach

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 12:45 pm

To lighten to tone on here a bit, I was looking as the last few pages of TripAdvisor reviews about Cardiff Bay and the thing that struck me was the geographical spread of visitors both around the UK and further afield.
All said it was great, most mentioned the Dr Who exhibition was a highlight.

But since it is scheduled to close, what should go in its place?
I doubt people would write reviews of new apartment buildings, no matter how funky.

Potomac Falls, Virginia, United States
Manchester, United Kingdom
Essex, United Kingdom
Berkshire, England
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Benfleet, United Kingdom
Loughton, United Kingdom
Chicago, Illinois
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Hong Kong
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Bicester, United Kingdom
Lethbridge, Alberta
London, United Kingdom

Cardiff

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 12:52 pm

It is sad it is closing even though i have no interest in it. From working in hotels it is amazing how many people make a trip to Cardiff solely on the Doctor Who connection, and for the city not to capitialise on this for the future is a huge loss, much like the city not capitalising on Roal Dhal (which from the crowds last summer there is pent up demand).

Peiriannydd

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Likewise, I've never been and I don't really have any interest in going to see it, but I really don't understand the sense in closing an attraction that people come from all over the world to see.

Is it losing money? Is there a plan for the site that it's located on? If so, can't they find another location for it?
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum