It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 am

Finally getting rid of the Rapport building?

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Amoore

Finally getting rid of the Rapport building?

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 1:45 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/locations-bidding-land-public-sector-12130285

It could be home to 5,000 staff in what would be the biggest office scheme ever seen in Wales.

And we will know very soon where the UK Government will decide to locate a huge public sector hub in the centre of Cardiff.

As part of a rationalisation programme the Government Property Unit (GPU) is streamlining its estate of public sector offices across the UK and focusing instead on new super centres.

Projects have already been confirmed for Croydon and Bristol, and Cardiff should be next in line.

The shortlisted locations are Central Square, John Street, and a car park site at Bridge Street.

Family-owned property company Rapport has a near two acre site covering a car park and offices it owns at Bridge Street.

It has teamed up with property development firm Stoford for its hub bid.

Stoford is no stranger to major property schemes in Cardiff having built the new HQ for insurance group Admiral, before selling the investment to Union Investment Real Estate.

Any scheme at the Rapport site would need planning consent. However, once seen as the least favoured of the three, the site is now being seen as a real contender.

I know some people are fond of it on here as a rare example of 1950's architecture but it's right in the middle of the city centre amongst so much development and sticks out like a sore thumb. It doesn't seem to serve any real purpose either.

Hopefully this will involve another high rise to stand alongside both the Admiral building and the new complex on Charles Street which will mean a dramatic transformation to the city's skyline.

Neil

Re: Finally getting rid of the Rapport building?

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 10:39 am

Quick build a tower here and the wind tunnel will be complete! :)

Always thought that this is where Admiral should have been built instead of squeezing it onto that short-lived, small oasis of green that we had.

RandomComment

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 5:56 pm

That green space was nice but it was only ever a temporary use, because the SD2 permission involved demolition of the car park formerly on this site, in part for SD2, but in part for later development. Of course, full application for a specific proposal (e.g. Admiral HQ) had to be applied for. But once the principle for development has been given - and on which the SD2 project was planned and funded - you can't rescind it.

I agree this building should come down. Its quite a big site though, with the car park behind. Perhaps there is some scope for another little open space (a mini square or even a little grassy area) on it.

If this building goes, the CIA will then start to look like the odd one out in terms of quality and scale.

Zach

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 6:01 pm

It could be home to 5,000 staff in what would be the biggest office scheme ever seen in Wales.

I wonder how these extra people will get into Cardiff? The trains, buses and cars have reached peak, do people want a 2 hour commute each way, every day?
Not sure about the Metro, which seems to consist mainly of bus lanes and a complete lack of buses, never mind trams/trains/tunnels/tele-transprotation!

RandomComment

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 6:39 pm

Have the trains reached peak? When I come back for work, the rush hour trains I've used are crowded but far from as busy as tube trains in London.

Now, you can be asking whether we should put up with such crowding... or whether it would be better to distribute employment more widely to avoid it. But the private sector (which has driven this in London) seems to think there are pretty strong reasons for agglomoration - some of which relate to what staff want (they like having lots of shops, cafes and bars nearby, and it being easier to get to meetings with other co-located organisations).

You can also ask whether businesses and organisations (and individuals) can be a bit cleverer in how they use the capacity that is there. Where I work some people avoid rush hour by cycling, others by coming in early and leaving early, and others by coming in late and leaving late (thats me!). Such arrangements can sometimes boost productivity too, as you're all around at core times (10 - 4) for meetings, but can get more stuff done without disturbance when colleagues are away (e.g. before 8:30 or after 6:00).

You seem in a particularly pessimistic mood at the moment. I would have thought the rush of blood from events earlier this year was still buoying your spirits.

solaris

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Procurement for the South Wales Metro is underway ( as part of the W&B franchise) and each of the 4 bidding companies will be spending >>£5M of their own cash at risk in going through the process....

Jeremy

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Stop picking on the Rapport Building, it probably the last example of a 1950s building in the city centre. While not beautiful nor flashy, it has a certain coherence and respectability. far better to use up the empty sites in the city and find a new use for this building, we should not want to tear down our history every 50 years, it is a shocking waste of energy and resources.

As for getting 5000 extra bodies into the city every day perhaps this shows the lack of joined up thinking in the London Government who control these jobs, the investment in the building and investment in railways. (All these centres are being placed close to major railway stations - how you might ask will the extra workers reach the hub in Croydon when Southern Rail is running over capacity and in total chaos at present).

Jantra

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 9:59 pm

its hideous. when marland house has been put out of its misery get the demolition team to make a detour

Kyle

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 11:39 pm

RandomComment wrote:Have the trains reached peak? When I come back for work, the rush hour trains I've used are crowded but far from as busy as tube trains in London.

Now, you can be asking whether we should put up with such crowding... or whether it would be better to distribute employment more widely to avoid it. But the private sector (which has driven this in London) seems to think there are pretty strong reasons for agglomoration - some of which relate to what staff want (they like having lots of shops, cafes and bars nearby, and it being easier to get to meetings with other co-located organisations).

You can also ask whether businesses and organisations (and individuals) can be a bit cleverer in how they use the capacity that is there. Where I work some people avoid rush hour by cycling, others by coming in early and leaving early, and others by coming in late and leaving late (thats me!). Such arrangements can sometimes boost productivity too, as you're all around at core times (10 - 4) for meetings, but can get more stuff done without disturbance when colleagues are away (e.g. before 8:30 or after 6:00).

You seem in a particularly pessimistic mood at the moment. I would have thought the rush of blood from events earlier this year was still buoying your spirits.

I can't talk about other lines, but the Rhymney line is a pain in the arse daily. Occasionally people can't even get on a train it's that full, like yesterday when people at Heath High Level weren't allowed on. Mostly it's a bit like too cosy for my liking, but you are correct, it isn't as bad as the underground in London.

It would be good if between now and the metro being implemented if new carriages could be found, but I appreciate it's difficult. Nevertheless it's better than driving and i'd prefer the city centre progressed and more jobs arrived and getting to and from work was a little difficult than Cardiff lost out on new jobs. The metro is coming after all, it might be a while away but at least we are getting it.

Simon_SW17

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 9:41 am

Unlike the Underground though, there's not another train in 2 minutes on the Valleys, if you don't get on it can be an hour until the next train. Not a viable option in that case.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum