It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 am

Finally getting rid of the Rapport building?

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Amoore

Re: Finally getting rid of the Rapport building?

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 3:11 pm

Stop picking on the Rapport Building, it probably the last example of a 1950s building in the city centre. While not beautiful nor flashy, it has a certain coherence and respectability. far better to use up the empty sites in the city and find a new use for this building, we should not want to tear down our history every 50 years, it is a shocking waste of energy and resources.

To be fair I did acknowledge that some people see it that way. I think I would be more likely to be on your side if the Rapport Building was a thriving complex of enterprise but it isn't - and that sort of building is not going to attract big businesses into the city centre.

Jeremy

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 8:59 pm

If the current owner did not want to tear it down then it may be and could be a more thriving small business enviroment?

RandomComment

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 11:25 pm

The current owner is, I think, is from the same family who built it - the Rapports - whose traditional business (watchmaking) is HQd in the building. Now, they could have their little admin and marketing team in another office suite. Their manufacturing happens elsewhere (not sure if it ever was in this building).

So why might they want to 'tear it down'? Put simply its a small poorly-specified building on a plot that could take a much bigger and more valuable building. They naturally want to get the most out of whats probably their biggest asset - the city centre land they inherited and own. Their forefathers built this and its now outlived its business purpose.

I agree its a shame when we pull down good quality old buildings, especially when there are few from that era. But, I don't see this building as that high quality. And if as society we want such buildings preserved, society should pay for it - compensating the private owners for the loss they therefore suffer.

durhamcowboy

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks Randomcomment you've taught me something new today I had no idea that Rapports was a watchmaker. I've taken a quick look at their website which shows some of the pieces they sell. They do however market themselves as Rapports London with no reference to their Welsh heritage which although unsurprising is kind of disappointing!

RandomComment

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 5:55 pm

While theres something romantic about the idea of Clogau Welsh gold - images of Celtic mythology, mixed up with its royal connections -, I think we can all agree that "Rapports, Cardiff".. doesn't quite have that ring to it. I was disappointed that nowhere does it mention where their founder set up shop, and where the craftsmen were (Cardiff) .. but I guess that would undermine the London branding.

Zach

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 6:38 pm

RandomComment wrote:romantic about the idea of Clogau Welsh gold -

This is about as true as Scottish Wisky.
American grain, american ex bourbon oak barrels for ageing, colour and flavour.

Oh and Scottish water, cause that's where the taste comes from :lol:
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum