It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

This is the bizarre wedge-shape skyscraper planned for behin

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

dave

This is the bizarre wedge-shape skyscraper planned for behin

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 7:23 pm

his is the first look at a building which could change the skyline of Cardiff Bay.

Developers want to build this 20 storey building at a new development called Dolffin Quay.

ABP Land and Property say that it would revitalise the eastern side of Cardiff Bay.

Dolffin Quay is located between the Bay and Roath Basin along Harbour Drive.

'Enhance the surroundings'

As well as 200 homes, there would be new waterfront shops and restaurants.

A new promenade will link the regeneration which began with Mermaid Quay, to new attractions at Porth Teigr.

Under the proposals Britannia Park would get a facelift.

The developer says that the scheme "will enhance the surroundings of the Norwegian Church Arts Centre and the existing pubs and cafés and provide open space for residents and tourists to enjoy all year round".

Associated British Ports will develop an outline proposal for Dolffin Quay.

READ MORE
Plans unveiled for new 20-storey tower offering spectacular views of Cardiff Bay

The Norwegian Church
They are now launching a public consultation on the proposals and are holding an exhibition at Cardiff Central Library on Thursday, November 24.

The event will be between 11.30am and 7pm.

Staff will be on hand to discuss the plans.

'Regeneration'

A planning application is submitted to Cardiff council by the end of the year.

READ MORE
Cardiff's Doctor Who Experience will close next year
Regional Director of Associated British Ports' South Wales Matthew Kennerley said: “Our proposals support the continued regeneration of Cardiff Bay and provide a boost to the local economy. We want Cardiff to rival other capital cities across the globe.

"We’re looking forward to sharing our proposals with the local community and gathering feedback so we have the best possible proposal for this important area of the Bay.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... d-12190885

penarth bloke

Re: This is the bizarre wedge-shape skyscraper planned for b

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 7:40 pm

At first I thought what a monstrosity, then I took another look considering the context and changed my mind. So many new builds are very average and that's being polite. I now think this would be a good addition to the area.

Maxfli

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 pm

Love this. Be Bold, make a statement.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 10:57 pm

Amazing, just add another 10 floors

redragon

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 12:32 am

No. sorry. Why is everyone obsessed with statement tall buildings? There's no need in a city with as much brownfield land as its got, the quality will not be there. If this somehow got approved - and wasn't of good quality - it would be a travesty.

Neil

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 9:53 am

The concept drawing seems to place buildings on every single piece of green space around the Norwegian Church and Waterguard. I'm getting a little bit sick and tired of there being no open green space in the city centre, let alone building on the green spaces around Roath basin. Just because Cardiff is considered a green city because of Bute & Roath Park, doesn't mean that we don't need some spaces amoungst the hard landscaping and high density clusters to soften things out a bit.

RandomComment

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 1:04 pm

I doubt whether all those smaller buildings will actually be built. I agree it would be good to see a little more green space. However, at the moment, that space around the Norwegian Church isn't really usable green space: its bushes between the road and the waterside foot-path, or in the case of the most southerly building, a large paved area (e.g. used for the marquee for the boat races).

One thing I noticed is that the lock-keepers cottage (used as a small cafe/ice cream stall) will have to be either demolished or moved: its right under the main wedge-shaped block. If its listed is that an issue for the development?

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum