It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:08 am

Porth Teigr: Royal Naval College

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: Porth Teigr: Royal Naval College

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Zach wrote:
Jantra wrote:on a planet with more than one sun...

You are right I do have a 'binary' view of things rather than some of the more mundane nuanced views!

chill Zach. you're one of the more entertaining posters here that's for sure.

:mrgreen:

jonbvn

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 6:44 am

Cen wrote:
Karl wrote:The comments on the Walesonline story are typically curmudgeonly.

Every time I look at the readers comments I feel a deep well of utter despair bubbling up inside me. Are the commentators typical of the man in the street or are they peculiarly ignorant, facetious and querulous? Is this just a south Wales thing are all below the line correspondents on local newspapers morons?

Somebody on Facebook suggested they "spent money on the Cardiff Royal Infirmary" instead. :?

The general ignorance of the Welsh public genuinely surprises me sometimes.

What do you suggest? Are only Guardianista views relevant?

Whether I agree with them or not, I fully support their right to voice their opinions.

Cen

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 8:30 am

Well, I'm not a Guardianista and generally don't hold the same views. I don't care what people believe as long as they understand what they're arguing about. It's no secret that education in this country is not the best, and defending this sort of ignorance instead of tackling it will only make the problem worse.

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 9:55 am

It is important to many senior people in the Tory party that Welsh nationalism is practically subdued. After all, Wales is England's longest-held and most-cherished possession. This attitude goes some way to explaining why the BBC building will be so prominent in central Cardiff; why the Bute Street railway station is to be converted to a military museum; and why the Royal Navy College is planned for this site: to indelibly stamp the hallmark of English power, both hard and soft, onto the physical fabric of the colonial capital.

Cue the unionist howls of execration....

Jantra

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:05 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:It is important to many senior people in the Tory party that Welsh nationalism is practically subdued. After all, Wales is England's longest-held and most-cherished possession. This attitude goes some way to explaining why the BBC building will be so prominent in central Cardiff; why the Bute Street railway station is to be converted to a military museum; and why the Royal Navy College is planned for this site: to indelibly stamp the hallmark of English power, both hard and soft, onto the physical fabric of the colonial capital.

I'm pretty sure the Normans, ergo the English, colonised Ireland before Wales

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:34 am

Jantra wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:It is important to many senior people in the Tory party that Welsh nationalism is practically subdued. After all, Wales is England's longest-held and most-cherished possession. This attitude goes some way to explaining why the BBC building will be so prominent in central Cardiff; why the Bute Street railway station is to be converted to a military museum; and why the Royal Navy College is planned for this site: to indelibly stamp the hallmark of English power, both hard and soft, onto the physical fabric of the colonial capital.

Nope. The Norman conquest of Ireland began in 1169. The Normans' conquest of Wales was pretty much complete by the mid 1080s. Of course, the Welsh fought back and kicked them out of much of Wales but apart from very brief periods (Ifor Bach's and Owain Glyndŵr's rebellions) Cardiff has been controlled by England since the Normans built the keep at Cardiff castle.

Besides, most of Ireland is controlled/possessed by the Brussels/Berlin axis.

Anyway, I stand by my assertion that these construction projects are exercises in the projection of English power.

Lyndon

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 am

Jantra wrote:

The first recorded battle against the Normans I can find was in 1081, when Gruffudd ap Cynan was defeated by Hugh the Fat, Earl of Chester, at Corwen. By 1093 the Normans occupied virtually the whole of Wales. They were subsequently largely expelled again by the princes of Gwynedd.

The Normans invaded Ireland in 1171.

Jantra

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 11:06 am

yes you're both correct, what I meant was that it took the Normans more than 200 years to subjugate Wales whereas it achieved hegemony in Ireland within a few years of the initial invasion. Ireland was England's first colony where it had complete control. Us Welsh provided a bit more resistance

RandomComment

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 am

Interesting the Normans "went native" in Ireland (and Scotland) in a way they did not in Wales. Hence, they ended up bolstering the native aristocracy which meant both Ireland and Scotland then reasserted their independence and didn't come under permnanent control until much later.

Back to Mr Blue Sky's main point. I have a one word response: B*llocks! The BBC chose Central Square over the other site that was really in play - Assembly Square - mostly due to the very practical matter that Central Square is much better connected by public transport and much closer to facilities like shops, bars and restaurants, which matter more and more to employees. By doing this, they've probably saved themselves thousands a year in taxi bills, as well (its fairly routine for them to offer taxis to people coming in to do an interview, say). On top of that it allowed them to argue they were facilitating a major regeneration project. And the site is slightly more regularly-shaped allowing for probably a more efficient layout of space.

Three further things on the BBC location.
1. This was a decision driven very much by BBC Wales - which is dominated by lefty types, with a fair dose of Welsh speakers.Its hard to see this as a "Tory conspiracy".
2. If it had ended up in Assembly Square, you would have then moaned that it was "overshadowing" the Sennedd. That it was the "stamp of the British empire in Wales new capital".
3. Actually, I think when we discussed it here, the preference was for it to go to the Assembly Square site (or, better yet, an earlier option considered in Porth Teigr). Consensus was that Central Square was probably strong enough to get going without the BBC but that the Bay needs a new catalyst to kick start things - and the BBC, and media and other companies it may bring along with it, could help with that. Clearly the BBC wanted an easier life with a quicker win on regeneration and a better location in terms of staff and visitor access.

The military medicine museum is something that has come from negotiations between the council and the regimental bodies in question. Its actually a good thing for the bay as there actually aren't that many "attractions" down there (and a big draw will go when Dr Who closes down). I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some moaning from Tories around its current base...

The navy thing is a bit different - I think this really is about trying to show a "presence" in the Welsh capital. But not in any jingoistic imperialistic English sense. Its more to counter the general feeling that the navy is in massive retreat. A few high profile (but in the scheme of things piddly) investments in high profile locations is an attempt to counteract perceptions of (an all too real) decline. In any case, I'd actually like to see more of a navy presence - as the visits by the naval boats again draws visitors and locals alike to the bay. We weren't ever a naval city - but at least the presence of something other than pleasure boats reminds people that the bay/docks were and are a working part of the city, not just a recreation area.

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 1:53 pm

So Randy, do,you think that the BBC is the propaganda arm of the British state or do you believe that the Beeb is impartial?

As I've written before, the first thing that people will see when they leave the station is that most British of institutions, the BBC.

Whereas up till recently the dominant view when arriving in Cardiff has been that most Welsh of institutions, the national stadium.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum