It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 am

Porth Teigr: Royal Naval College

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Re: Porth Teigr: Royal Naval College

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:It's no different to the typical "doctors, nurses, teachers" comments when it comes to spending public money.

This one really gets to me. As if all there is to life is health and education. If that were true wouldn't we all be willing to pay much more in tax rather than, for instance, have that extra takeaway or drink or holiday.

Another thing is the sort of probably well meaning but rather poorly thought out comments you get whenever NICE comes up in the press. Say, they refuse to recommend funding some cancer treatment which costs £50,000 to extend life by an average of 3 months. Its "you can't put a price on life", and "We can't save lives, but we give all this money in overseas aid". Well, yes, we put a price on life every day - when we refuse to pay over all our money for health, safety, etc. And instead keep some back to enjoy living. And if talking about saving lives, that £50,000 could probably save quite a few full lives in sub-Saharan Africa - through vaccinations, helping provide clean water, etc, to children.

OK, these may sound like digressionary rants (and they kinda are). But the point behind them is I think the comments are made in a well-meaning way. Just not a very well thought out one.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 6:58 pm

That's the trouble with the internet! the glass half empty - grumpy old sod in the pub that everyone avoided coz he oozes negativity can now spread his misery globally! and he can't go down the pub any more coz now it's a tescos!

As for the Royal Naval College - fantastic! the bay is taking some time to 'fill up' but it's getting there! and this certainly adds an interesting looking, quality building :)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

murfilicious

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 9:46 am

Karl wrote:are all below the line correspondents on local newspapers morons?

The bottom half of the internet is an unbelievable place full of absolute cretins. Most of the comments are by people who post either deliberately ignorant opinions (to get a reaction) or misinformed idiocy due to not reading the full article. Some of the corkers on WalesOnline recently relate to the Wales football team not wearing a poppy on their shirts despite having held a minutes silence, having a poppy wreath on the pitch and massive poppy in the stand - in my opinion far greater than 11 footballers wearing shirts with a poppy "printed" on it. Yet some of the comments below the line were unbelievable!

Another was during the debate about whether or not a gate in Roath Park should be closed to keep children safe - most of the comments were posted by Child-less cretins saying such things as "if you can't keep your kids safe then maybe they deserve to go missing!"

It is a grim place that I deliberately try to ignore as best I can...
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

penarth bloke

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 10:44 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:That's the trouble with the internet! the glass half empty - grumpy old sod in the pub that everyone avoided coz he oozes negativity can now spread his misery globally! and he can't go down the pub any more coz now it's a tescos!

As for the Royal Naval College - fantastic! the bay is taking some time to 'fill up' but it's getting there! and this certainly adds an interesting looking, quality building :)

One of the things I think is missing from Cardiff Bay is bulk and this development will help address that feel.

Zach

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 11:11 am

Wasn't the Royal Naval Reserve unit; HMS Cambria based in Sully? :?
Cardiff is like a massive black hole sucking up all investment in South Wales, it has now reached its pivot point where even the BBC which was in Cardiff's suburbs is being drawn into the dead centre of the spinning mass.
Within 20 years it will eventually turn into a naked singularity, composed of a infinitely tall sky-scrapper in which all businesses are housed, located in Central Square.

Cen

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 11:48 am

Zach wrote:Wasn't the Royal Naval Reserve unit; HMS Cambria based in Sully? :?
Cardiff is like a massive black hole sucking up all investment in South Wales, it has now reached its pivot point where even the BBC which was in Cardiff's suburbs is being drawn into the dead centre of the spinning mass.
Within 20 years it will eventually turn into a naked singularity, composed of a infinitely tall sky-scrapper in which all businesses are housed, located in Central Square.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Future developments have been planned for other regions of the city. The biggest being Cardiff Parkway. Brains are also looking to move out of the centre. Other companies such as S4C have moved out of the city entirely.

RandomComment

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Cen wrote:

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Future developments have been planned for other regions of the city. The biggest being Cardiff Parkway. Brains are also looking to move out of the centre. Other companies such as S4C have moved out of the city entirely.

I think you missed the parody...

Cen

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 1:55 pm

RandomComment wrote:
Cen wrote:

Probably... I can't work out where Zach stands on things usually :lol:

Jantra

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 3:03 pm

Cen wrote:
RandomComment wrote:
Cen wrote:I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Future developments have been planned for other regions of the city. The biggest being Cardiff Parkway. Brains are also looking to move out of the centre. Other companies such as S4C have moved out of the city entirely.

Probably... I can't work out where Zach stands on things usually :lol:

on a planet with more than one sun...

Zach

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 4:39 pm

Jantra wrote:on a planet with more than one sun...

You are right I do have a 'binary' view of things rather than some of the more mundane nuanced views!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum