It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:27 am

Porth Teigr: Royal Naval College

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

murfilicious

Porth Teigr: Royal Naval College

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 11:47 am

A brand new £11m Royal Navy facility will be built in Cardiff Bay. It includes a new training centre for the Royal Naval Reserve, Royal Marine Reserve, and the University Royal Naval Unit. The new build will provide state-of-the-art training and classroom suites, accommodation, and administrative services as well as social and fitness facilities. There will also be access to the waterfront and docking facilities for visiting warships. It will be built on land near the BBC Studios.

Judging by the angle, I would say this is going on the patch of land north of Compass Road (next to the Tyneside Road roundabout with Porth Teigr Way)
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Simon_SW17

Re: Porth Teigr: Royal Naval College

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 12:07 pm

I assume this will be a high security area and therefore no public access. Will it be closing off part of the dockside therefore breaking up the Porth Teigr development?

murfilicious

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 12:13 pm

This part is already closed off (there's a gatehouse and barriers) so we'll probably just see a bulking up of the existing security
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Peiriannydd

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 12:32 pm

Considering that we used to build ships for the Royal Navy in Pembroke, a £10M investment is hardly significant. I think the Royal Navy should do a lot more to lift its presence in Wales.

Bishop84

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 1:35 pm

I was wondering what was happening with that. The announcement that Cardiff was getting a "Navy Base" was made about 5 years ago. Still it will be good to see HMS Cambria back in Cardiff from Sully. Up to the late 70's early 80's it was based next to the Bute East Dock.

I heard one of the options being considered was to expand the Ty Llewellyn Reserve base on Adam Street. So a completely new building to house them should be an improvement.

Cen

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 2:09 pm

Public access or not, the building looks great. It'll be nice to see more Navy activity in the bay too.

Karl

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 3:28 pm

The comments on the Walesonline story are typically curmudgeonly.

Every time I look at the readers comments I feel a deep well of utter despair bubbling up inside me. Are the commentators typical of the man in the street or are they peculiarly ignorant, facetious and querulous? Is this just a south Wales thing are all below the line correspondents on local newspapers morons?

Cen

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Karl wrote:The comments on the Walesonline story are typically curmudgeonly.

Every time I look at the readers comments I feel a deep well of utter despair bubbling up inside me. Are the commentators typical of the man in the street or are they peculiarly ignorant, facetious and querulous? Is this just a south Wales thing are all below the line correspondents on local newspapers morons?

Somebody on Facebook suggested they "spent money on the Cardiff Royal Infirmary" instead. :?

The general ignorance of the Welsh public genuinely surprises me sometimes.

Peiriannydd

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 4:30 pm

Cen wrote:
Karl wrote:The comments on the Walesonline story are typically curmudgeonly.

Somebody on Facebook suggested they "spent money on the Cardiff Royal Infirmary" instead. :?

The general ignorance of the Welsh public genuinely surprises me sometimes.

No, it's a global thing, you always get people who can only be negative about any sort of development. It's no different to the typical "doctors, nurses, teachers" comments when it comes to spending public money.

But it is particulary bad in South Wales. Especially when it's coupled with the low ambition that's prevalent throughout the area. It's a sad fact, but when you look throughout history and our current success stories, it's amazing what individual Welsh people can achieve when they leave Wales and find themselve around more positive people.

penarth bloke

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 6:01 pm

I don't want to appear rude, but some of the comments on fb are embarrassing.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum