It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

Cardiff aiming to be UK's top cycling city

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ben In London

Cardiff aiming to be UK's top cycling city

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 11:54 am

Cen

Re: Cardiff aiming to be UK's top cycling city

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Having recently been to Copenhagen and Amsterdam, there is no hope in hell of this ever happening. Cycling routes need to be embedded into the fundamental transport system, not just tacked on. And the council's overzealous "integration" of bus lanes will make sure this never happens. We need to work on the metro to reduce overall traffic before we can even think about bikes.

Mathew5

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Cyclists are lethal in Cardiff - they don't know the basics of the Highway code and continually cycle on pavements and don't wear helmets. If anything, they should be discouraged.

Cen

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Mathew5 wrote:Cyclists are lethal in Cardiff - they don't know the basics of the Highway code and continually cycle on pavements and don't wear helmets. If anything, they should be discouraged.

The only way to persecute these people is to create the infrastructure that gives cyclists no excuses. Things like bicycle-only traffic lights, and complete segregation of the cycle route from the road and the pavement. Which, to be fair, the council is talking about in this plan.

If you put the infrastructure in place then there's no grey areas. If they cross a bicycle-only red light or unnecessarily use the pavement then they get stopped/arrested. Simple. This is how it works in the well-known cycling metropolises.

Mathew5

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 4:07 pm

I'd like to agree with you but those expensive segregated bike lanes on Cardiff bridge are continuously ignored. One guy even threatened and shouted at me for not getting out of his way as he cycled on the pavement on the very same bridge.

I see chavs doing wheelies down Queen Street and Cowbridge Road East, totally ignoring red lights. The idea of Cardiff as a cycling city is just laughable.

Sam

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 5:45 pm

We shouldn't not invest in cycling just because there are some bad cyclists about. That is a poor argument.

Zach

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Lloydd George Avenue, segregated cycle lanes!

Except, Pedestrians use the cycle way (which is too close to the flats)
and cyclists use both the footpath and the road when they are in Bradley Wiggins mode.

The fun bit is the pedrestrian crossing by the UCI/Cafe where the cycle way cuts across just where people are waiting for the lights.

All in all the whole scheme looks like it was designed by a retarded 4 year old.

I would let cyclists use motorways, any luck after 10 years there would be any left :lol:

penarth bloke

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 7:37 pm

There would need to be a massive change in culture for any meaningful changes to be made.

Peiriannydd

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 7:43 pm

Having lived in Cambridge for a number of years in my younger days, I recall the cyclists being an absolute pain in the arse! No respect and no regard for anyone using the same footpath.

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 11:19 pm

Surely the main obstacle to the aim of Cardiff being the UK's cycling capital is that it is nowhere near as flat as Cambridge (or Amsterdam or Copenhagen).

http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/places ... ge-894705/

http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/places/Cardiff-406127/

http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/places ... n-5421255/

http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/places ... m-8976695/

I cycle regularly around Cardiff and manage to cycle to Penarth a few times every spring/summer. Getting up the wiggly cycle path from the marina to Penarth Heights is not easy - I can do it but I don't enjoy it. Reaching the top of Penarth and frewheeling down Arcot street gives a sense of achievement but is not really fun.

Given that Cardiff's expansion is planned for hilly areas I think that the desire to have smiling families cycling to school in the rain up 1:15 gradients is pie-in-the sky, dreamt up in an attempt to partially justify building all those new homes. I did write a well-received article on this issue for Daily Wales but it was destroyed when the site was hacked.

Cycling resources should be concentrated in the flatter areas of Cardiff; maybe cycle hire depots could be placed at Ely bridge, Waun Gron, Gabalfa, Rhydypenau, the bottom of Pen-y-Lan hill and the bottom of Rumney hill. People living in the outer suburbs could walk, bus, train or drive to these depots and then leave the bikes at their place of work in the city centre, then do the reverse at the end of the day.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum