It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

Wetherspoons hotel - Womanby Street

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Karl

Re: Wetherspoons hotel - Womanby Street

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am

I'm not sure what the Council can actually do. I'm sure they are obliged to look at each and evetu planning application on its merits and in accordance with the LDP and in accordance with planning law. It is therefore almost certain that a residential development in Womanby St will not be turned down and if it is then the developers re likely to suceed on appeal. That would involve the Council incurring costs.

I'm not aware of any powers that local authorities have to designate an area for entertainment and/or A3 purposes only. I'm also not aware of any powers that an LA would have to suspend the law of nuisance or to ignore it's own noise abatment policies in a specific area. I'd be interested to know if there are powers to protect 'entertainment districts' and I'd be happy to be corrected on this point.

It appears from the notice on the door of the Full Moon club that the landlord has regained possession. I'd say that its more likely that this would be for non payment of rent rather than breach of a term of the lease in relation to noise. An article on Walesonline regarding a proposed street party for the Full Moon this weekend is rather telling. The manager of the Full Moon club has said that the best way to protect Womanby St is to actually use the venues on a regular basis. This was the issue wth Dempseys which Brains said was only trading on the weekends.

RandomComment

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:04 am

DaiB wrote:Does anyone familiar with planning law know on what grounds the council could refuse permission for the apartment development?

The council could refuse permission if it could convincingly argue that the "amenity of future occupiers" would be adversely affected by the design of the property or nearby existing use classes. They have used this provision quite a few times, although the examples I've seen are things like size of property; overlooking/light; and being directly above things like takeaways where the focus was more on fumes/smells than noise. I suppose they could use it for noise pollution as well - but would have to be able to argue convincingly that the proposed design and noise mitigation measures are insufficient to protect the "amenity of future occupiers".

This club directly abuts the Clwb building and the Revolution beer garden. It would need really very good sound-proofing (commercial quality) for both the walls and the windows.

Jantra

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 12:55 pm

That's a fair point about rev's beer garden and revs in general. Could you realistically close rev's given its destination ergo limited use. Aren't there also residential flats on the rev's block?

jones4891

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum