It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 am

Wetherspoons hotel - Womanby Street

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

moyceyyy

Re: Wetherspoons hotel - Womanby Street

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 pm

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:In the light of the above this all looks pretty precarious for the live music future of Womanby Street, so I'll have to withdraw my approval of this development! :geek: Makes me wonder how these issues are addressed in other citys?

Simple. Residential developments are simply not built next to Major venues.

The only other example I can think of is the development opposite fabric (dnb and techno club in London for those living underneath a rock ;) )

But yeah. The venues which arent closing are in the cities which actually care about their nightlife. It's sad to see so many venues close, like Cable and the Arches. The death of the nightclub scene really is a serious subject.

RandomComment

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Main reason for the closure of nightclubs is not residential development though - its the decline in clubgoing, driven by a really quite big decline in alcohol consumption by 18-30 year olds over the last 10 - 15 years. Of course, in a few (high profile) instances, clubs and live music venues have been affected by residential occupiers, or heavy-handed policing and licensing (Fabric, Ministry, etc. in London).

I think the Agent of Change approach may be a sensible middle ground here. It lets development proceed - and it'd be good if unused upper floors or plots can be brought into use - but makes noise abatement an issue for the new development not existing occupiers.

How noisy is the street in the week? I could imagine them becoming airbnb with stag/hen at weekend and some work trips in the week.

Jantra

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 5:14 pm

I would say the death of clubbing is more to do with the fact that bars can now open late night and serve alcohol without necessarily having to charge an entry fee. not everyone is a serious clubber into their music, check out WOW, it is full upstairs and empty downstairs, guess where the house music is...

Lyndon

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 pm

The Full Moon has just announced they're closing with immediate effect. Which is particularly galling as I had tickets for Sunday night.

The massacre of Cardiff's nightlife continues, perhaps Gareth Bale can buy it and turn it into another sports bar for bloody chavs.

jones4891

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Absolutely gutting. Write to your councillors/MPs/AMs and ask them to do what they can to intervene. I had a positive response from Cllr Nigel Howells who said he supports the campaign to save Womanby Street and will raise the issue at the next council meeting. There won't be much left to save at this rate....

Harok

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 10:14 pm

The application for a residential building right next to Clwb is incredibly confusing. How can this be seriously considered? I am astounded that this is actually happening right now as this city seriously needs to get a handle on its future. We're a city with a lot of undeveloped city centre space. There is no need to force residential properties into a location such as this.

I'd say what's happening around Womanby street right now is incredibly short sighted. To me this seems to be the standard approach in Cardiff, and Wales as a whole. It's a fairly sad state of affairs, and sets us back unnecessarily against other locations in the UK. This city needs to grasp it's uniqueness and increase it's culture. Not force this out and put in more and more bland residential buildings.

Frank

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 10:49 pm

Perhaps we don't have a pot to p*** in anymore.

San Portablo

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 9:43 am

This is short sighted planning by developers who want to make quick money...
People need to get busy and lobby to leave Womanby Street well alone...
What's different about Cardiff Central? Arcades, Castle, Stadium granted....
but the street in the Centre has to be Womanby Street- it is not any town, any place avenue...
It is actually literally the meaning of the developers cliche - Vibrant

It has achieved this organically - Vibrant means full of energy and life...
Womanby is high spirited and is a street that is not in your face - its a street you get to know as you explore the city which gives the town depth...
I am all for development that improves lifestyle but in equal measure you have to balance this with preservation..
Do the Right thing Caerdydd

Frank

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 10:05 am

The prodigal son has returned to open a burger bar. But have the council lost control of their critical faculties? My guess is this is about a combination of celebrity and penury.

moyceyyy

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 10:49 am

It just seems to me that the council are approving anything in an effort to rapidly expand the economy of the city
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum